X-Files complete collection - likely a buffering problem

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
zebulon

X-Files complete collection - likely a buffering problem

Post by zebulon »

Hi,

I just received my boxset of The X-Files inBlu-Ray and immediately tried to dump titles with MakeMKV under Linux. aacskeys confirmed the MKB being of version 50, but there is no PK available to decrypt using the open source program.
Anyway, the mkv was showing blocks, it looks most certainly a problem decrypting BD+. I have seen this thread, is this indeed an issue with the new BD+?

Thanks.
Last edited by zebulon on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: X-Files complete collection UK BR, AACS MKBv50

Post by Woodstock »

It would be helpful to know which version of MakeMKV you are running. And the debug log of the rip will help.

If it is BD+, you should have gotten a message about not being able to create FUTs (Fix Up Tables), and a .tgz file would have been created to send to svq@makemkv.com for analysis.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zebulon

Post by zebulon »

Woodstock wrote:It would be helpful to know which version of MakeMKV you are running. And the debug log of the rip will help.

If it is BD+, you should have gotten a message about not being able to create FUTs (Fix Up Tables), and a .tgz file would have been created to send to svq@makemkv.com for analysis.
Hi,

I apologise, but I need to correct: there is no BD+ protection (at least on the first disc tested, I assume this is the case for the thers). I have been able to extract the VUK via other means, and I can read the disc fine using VLC on Linux without any issue. So there is something wrong when Makemkv (1.9.7 on Linux) tries to create a mkv file, which is blocky.

I will send some logs soon.
zebulon

Post by zebulon »

I just restarted my computer again, and this time the rip went ahead fine.
Does makemkv uses the EYDB.cfg file in .config/aacs/vuk by any chance?

Another thing that may be related: the first time I had this issue, I used the stream functionality first, and had blocky video in VLC. Then I stopped it and tried the rip on the drive (as an mkv file). Could it be some issue with the stream still working in the background somehow?
zebulon

Post by zebulon »

Hi I can confirm that it now works fine, but that the Stream function may have affected the capability to rip. Without using the stream, the rip is a lot faster, suggesting that the drive was busy playing and ripping at the same time, leading to this issue. Is this possible? I wish I could find a way to reproduce the problem, but it seems to be a kind of one-off.
Actionlover

Re: X-Files complete collection - likely a buffering problem

Post by Actionlover »

I'm thinking of getting the set and converting it to mkv too. How big was each episode? Around 5GB?
preserve

Post by preserve »

Actionlover wrote:I'm thinking of getting the set and converting it to mkv too. How big was each episode? Around 5GB?
9+ to 11 gigs each.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Rule of thumb is half-hour shows (22-24 total minutes) will be around 5GB, 10GB for hour shows, as preserve mentions.

Depending upon the type of video, you can compress that further with tools like handbrake. For me, anime episodes start out at 4.5-5.5GB (24 minutes or so), but compress to 1.0-1.5GB. Action stuff and "noisy" video won't compress as well, but BD isn't using the best encoding possible.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

Woodstock wrote:Rule of thumb is half-hour shows (22-24 total minutes) will be around 5GB, 10GB for hour shows, as preserve mentions.
I was impressed with X-Files. They even went to an extra Blu-ray disc for Season 2 - 7 discs instead of 6 for every other season - because Season 2 with 25 episodes is longer than all the rest. This necessitated a thicker case for only that season, which some people weren't impressed with because every other season fit into a thin 6-disc case. At least in North America - other regions had thicker cases for all seasons by default. But I'm glad they didn't sacrifice the bitrate in order to squeeze in that extra episode.

It kills me to see some "hour" shows compressed on Blu-ray to between 5+ to 7 gigs, such as Sarah Connor Chronicles and Smallville.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

preserve wrote:
Actionlover wrote:I'm thinking of getting the set and converting it to mkv too. How big was each episode? Around 5GB?
9+ to 11 gigs each.
Thank you. I'm going to need an extra hard drive to do it
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

Woodstock wrote:Rule of thumb is half-hour shows (22-24 total minutes) will be around 5GB, 10GB for hour shows, as preserve mentions.

Depending upon the type of video, you can compress that further with tools like handbrake. For me, anime episodes start out at 4.5-5.5GB (24 minutes or so), but compress to 1.0-1.5GB. Action stuff and "noisy" video won't compress as well, but BD isn't using the best encoding possible.
Makes sense, since a 2 hour movie is 20-30GB
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

preserve wrote:
I was impressed with X-Files. They even went to an extra Blu-ray disc for Season 2 - 7 discs instead of 6 for every other season - because Season 2 with 25 episodes is longer than all the rest. This necessitated a thicker case for only that season, which some people weren't impressed with because every other season fit into a thin 6-disc case. At least in North America - other regions had thicker cases for all seasons by default. But I'm glad they didn't sacrifice the bitrate in order to squeeze in that extra episode.

It kills me to see some "hour" shows compressed on Blu-ray to between 5+ to 7 gigs, such as Sarah Connor Chronicles and Smallville.
It's nice they did that with X-Files. The 24 bluray episodes are around 7GB.