'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dzl13

'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Post by dzl13 »

I'm having a terrible time lately with getting 'Uncorrectable Error' messages for a multitude of movies. I have used v1.9.6 through 1.9.9 and no changes. I have failed on Terminator, Pitch Perfect, Lion King, Downton Abbey, and Duff, all BR's. These represent quite a few different companies and I assume a lot of different co protections. Any thoughts? Error messages below:

Saving 1 titles into directory D:/
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '11541282816'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '11541282816'
Failed to save title 0 to file D://THE_TERMINATOR_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: 'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Post by Woodstock »

Multiple disks can be the drive itself - it can't focus on the data. Sometimes the first thing to go bad is the ability to read the second layer of a multi-layer disk.

Sometimes the drive's electronics are confused, and a reset will clear the problem up. Sometimes it's dirt... cleaning the drive will fix this.

But, sometimes, you really do have multiple disks with problems. What happens if you rip a DVD instead of a BD?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dzl13

Post by dzl13 »

Downton was a DVD (unfortunately) and it copied 3/4 titles, 3 copied, 1 failed. I have been able to copy other DVD's though. This is an external player BTW. To be clear Scsi Error means it can't physically read it right? Not that it's a copyright or software error?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Correct, "uncorrectable read error" is not software or copy protection. Key exchange errors can be software (happens on BD), but most have a basis in a physical read error.

The constant refrain of "clean the disk" plays in the background .....

Others cower from this idea, but I clean with Pledge furniture polish, because it will also fill in small scratches. Just make sure you wipe with a clean, soft cotton or microfiber cloth (NOT PAPER TOWEL!!!!), and let the water carrier flash off, before putting the disk in the drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging