Captain America Civil War

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Gronda

Captain America Civil War

Post by Gronda »

I've been using MakeMKV for a few years now and generally it's worked flawlessly. I got my copy of Captain America Civil War the other day, put it into my blu-ray drive and the disc seems to be read fine but when I try to extract anything as MKVs I get the error "a non close operation has been requested of a file object with a delete pending" multiple times for each track.

The disc plays fine in my standalone player but I can't rip anything from it. I found an earlier thread with the same issue and the advice at the time was to request a replacement disc - is this likely to be a disc problem with that being the only solution?
Woodstock

Re: Captain America Civil War

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have debug logging turned on? (FAQ link in my signature)

If so, are there any debug messages that came with the errors?

I would suggest sending the log to support@makemkv.com so that Mike can look at it. I've not seen an error message like you report, so I have no guesses as to the possible causes.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Gronda

Post by Gronda »

Looks like I may have found the problem. The drive I was ripping to doesn't have quite enough space for all the disc contents. In an attempt to be methodical and rule out other possibilities I tried to rip the extra material and not the film itself. So far it's working fine with about 20 minutes to go. Once that's done I'll make some space and see if I can rip the film itself :)
Gronda

Post by Gronda »

All content now ripped successfully :)

I'm pretty sure that I have in the past had the notification of not enough drive space available but still been able to start the rip and then sort out the space availability in the background so I'm not sure what has changed, but now I know not to start without enough space, problem solved :)
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

I am trying to rip this Blu Ray. The video and audio seem to work, but when I tried to select the English subtitles (forced only!), I did not get any subtitles. I selected 'forced only'. Do I also need to select the 'English Subtitles' box?
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Olorin wrote:I am trying to rip this Blu Ray. The video and audio seem to work, but when I tried to select the English subtitles (forced only!), I did not get any subtitles. I selected 'forced only'. Do I also need to select the 'English Subtitles' box?
Yes, select both. Because the forced only box is listed doesn't mean that option is actually available on the disc.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

yorgo wrote:
Olorin wrote:I am trying to rip this Blu Ray. The video and audio seem to work, but when I tried to select the English subtitles (forced only!), I did not get any subtitles. I selected 'forced only'. Do I also need to select the 'English Subtitles' box?
Yes, select both. Because the forced only box is listed doesn't mean that option is actually available on the disc.

Hi Yorgo, and thanks for responding. I tried selecting both , and the subtitles still do not appear. To be specific, in the scene at the beginning of the movie where Russian is being spoken, no subtitles appear when played using VLC. I also had this problem using a different tool (Pavtube's Byte Copy).

I am thinking that I am doing something wrong, or maybe there is an issue with the subtitle track of the Civil War Blu Ray? I will try another disk that has forced subtitles. I am thinking of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' (there are some scenes with English subtitles where Klingon is being spoken).
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Unfortunately, I don't have the disc to test so I can't report specifically about it but if you've experienced the problem with two different tools, my first guess is that it's how the disc was encoded. FYI, I have come across a couple movies where the foreign (ie, non-main) language is not subtitled.

Star Trek Into Darkness is not a good choice; the Klingon subtitles appear to be in the film itself and not a selectable PGS on the disc.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem, in general, with subtitles is that the disk authors have a lot of different ways to do them.

The example of translating Klingon can be done several ways. Three common ones are:

a. Disk is assumed to be sold only in English-language markets, the Klingon translation is "burned" into the video, and not part of any subtitle track.

b. Disk has one subtitle track for English, which contains all subtitles, and some of them (the Klingon) are marked as "forced".

c. Disk has multiple subtitle tracks for English, one of which contains ONLY subtitles for Klingon, NO subtitles are marked as "forced".

Option c is the most common I've seen. Option b is relatively rare.

But the "forced only" option within MakeMKV is only functional in the case of option b; it takes the subtitles that are FLAGGED as "forced", and puts them into a separate subtitle track in the output. If nothing is flagged, that separate track will be empty, and will be dropped at the end of the rip.

If you did not also check the "parent" track, you will have no subtitles at all.

My work flow assumes nothing on subtitles - I tell MakeMKV to rip EVERYTHING. Then, using VLC from videolan.org, I watch at least part of the MKV file, to determine which subtitle tracks contain "everything", and which are "forced only", as well as checking out the audio tracks. Everything then goes through handbrake to make the video smaller, and include the audio and subtitle tracks I want, in the order I want them, before being dropped on the video server.

If you're not worried about the size of the video, tools like mkvmerge can do the rearranging of the tracks within an MKV file without recoding everything.
johnmacklin

Post by johnmacklin »

Captain America Civil War uses option c. as do most Marvel films. For the UK 3D release, the 'forced' subtitle track is the second English subtitle track. Once ripped, use MKVMerge to verify that it is flagged as the default track and if it isn't mark it as such.

It's easy to check as the film starts in Russian.

John
Cpt_Ahab

Post by Cpt_Ahab »

Hi guys,

I am having HUGE problems ripping the ISO of the 3D UK version. I can play the iso but I cannot extract it to MKV with MakeMKV. It always give me these errors:

AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Failed to open disc

Would be great if anybody had an idea how to resolve that. I need to add another language to the movie.

THX!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the disk is encrypted, the AACS directory would have to be there. MakeMKV can't use what isn't there.
Cpt_Ahab

Post by Cpt_Ahab »

Hi,

not sure what you mean. If AACS folder is missing and disc non-encrypted then MakeMKV should still be able to rip it, right? I expect no encryption since I can copy the video files normally from the BR and play it from my PC. Like I said...I can also mount the Iso and watch it normally on PC and also on my Media Player. Any idea why I cannot extract the MVC video track or how I could do it.

THX!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure what there is to resolve, without more information. If all you get with debug logging turned on is "failed to open disk", that does not say why it failed. It could be a bad ISO file - just because it plays doesn't mean it is complete. After all, at least one required directory has been removed.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Woodstock wrote:After all, at least one required directory has been removed.
Any, or all, files dealing with AACS are not required to be on a Blu-ray disc. Discs can be authored without AACS protection.