Some Blu Ray Disks Will not Rip Right (pixelated)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
localguy

Some Blu Ray Disks Will not Rip Right (pixelated)

Post by localguy »

I have ripped almost all of my library to played on a Raspberry PI that is connected to my TV. My movies are on an powered external disk that is directly connected to the Raspberry PI.

I have noticed that some of my Blu Ray movies are "pixelated" (if that is the correct term). The playback is slow and seems stuck for a second or two, them will show large "pixels" . The sound is perfect.

I noticed this on Blade Runner (Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray], and all of the disks of the The Bourne Classified Collection. The disk are all new and play correctly in my Blu Ray player. This may have happened on other disks but I have not noticed. The disks are clean, the Bourne disks are brand new. Other Blu Ray disks have been ripped and play with out issue.

What could be causing these issues?

Thanks
Phil J
Woodstock

Re: Some Blu Ray Disks Will not Rip Right (pixelated)

Post by Woodstock »

Insufficient processing power in the RPi to decode the codec, or issues with getting the file into the decoder. I think the RPi has a hardware h.264 decoder built into it, but it probably doesn't handle VC-1 in hardware. And it may not be able to read the disk fast enough for high bit rates on USB2.

MakeMKV can decode the Bladerunner series just fine, so it should not be an issue with BD+ decode issues. But what you describe is classic "I'm overwhelmed trying to decode this video, so I'll keep the audio going what I try to catch up".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
trumpet205

Re: Some Blu Ray Disks Will not Rip Right (pixelated)

Post by trumpet205 »

Woodstock wrote:Insufficient processing power in the RPi to decode the codec, or issues with getting the file into the decoder. I think the RPi has a hardware h.264 decoder built into it, but it probably doesn't handle VC-1 in hardware. And it may not be able to read the disk fast enough for high bit rates on USB2.

MakeMKV can decode the Bladerunner series just fine, so it should not be an issue with BD+ decode issues. But what you describe is classic "I'm overwhelmed trying to decode this video, so I'll keep the audio going what I try to catch up".
Pi DOES have VC-1 hardware decoder, but you MUST buy separate license for it. Same with MPEG2.

http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/

You must have these license keys or else Pi will struggle trying to decode these videos on software mode.