Successful video rip: but variation in volume level

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thx_tukker

Successful video rip: but variation in volume level

Post by thx_tukker »

Concerns music concert bluray with aacs encryption. MakeMKV rips video successful but volume significantly goes up and down at certain points compared to the original tracks.

Rip with other product is ok. Playback of disc with software bluray player is ok.

Funny thing is that playback on a dedicated Samsung bluray player BD-F6500 results in the same phenomenon.

Any thoughts what might be the problem here?
Woodstock

Re: Successful video rip: but variation in volume level

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is ripping the audio tracks "as they are", unless you tell it to convert them to FLAC (free lossless audio codec). Without knowing what software you used for the other rips, I have no idea what that software did with the audio tracks.

I have found that some players do weird things with some audio codecs. I have to shut down my home theater and use the TV speakers on some videos, because the theater can't figure out the audio stream. On others, I have to mute the TV speakers and use the home theater, because the TV can't figure it out.

When ripping, I pull all available audio tracks, and then have handbrake process the video with my chosen audio preferences before it goes on the media server. Usually, the mix is AAC (conversion in handbrake) and AC3 (passed through when available).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thx_tukker

Post by thx_tukker »

Rip with AnyDVD was ok and software player is from Aiseesoft. On playback both are ok.

Next to the standalone Samsung BD player, I also tried with a Panasonic. Same effect present.

So, very weird and I fail to see the logic behind this.

Somewhere in the (decoding?) process it seems that MakeMKV and the BD players do something different than AnyDVD and Aiseesoft
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

Did you rip using Default profile on MakeMKV? Or did you use other profiles like FLAC or AAC? Any AV sync warning during ripping?

Sometimes Dolby and DTS tracks have metadatas like dynamic range compression which are lost if you opt to convert the audio, even to lossless one like FLAC. When in doubt use Default profile and bitstream the audio instead.

Also did you actually test the disc on BD player, or did you put ripped files on USB storage and hook it up to the BD player?
thx_tukker

Post by thx_tukker »

Used default profile. No AV sync warning.

I don't quite understand your remark '....use.....bitstream the audio instead.' Is this something within MakeMKV or a outside/separate method to deal with the audio?

I actually used the original disc in the BD player.

Thx!