Movies mastered in 4K, not UHD discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
sfriedrich

Movies mastered in 4K, not UHD discs

Post by sfriedrich »

I have 5 movies "Mastered in 4K"; Godzilla, Men in Black, The Fifth Element, and Ghostbusters I & II. I am able to rip them to .mkv files, but when I play them on my Sony 4K blu-ray and Samsung monitor, they don't get played at 3840x2160, they get played at 1920x1080.
When I put the discs in the Sony, they get played at 3840x2160.
Anyone have any idea why? Perhaps the "mastered in 4K" is implemented as a flag that causes the player to repeat each line twice?
It's not a big deal, the market window closed on these discs, once the UHD discs came out. I got each of mine for $10 per movie. They look great.
Woodstock

Re: Movies mastered in 4K, not UHD discs

Post by Woodstock »

As stated elsewhere, "Mastered in 4K" is the modern equivalent of "mastered from the 70mm print!"

It doesn't make the RESULT any bigger or more detailed, it just means they started with more detail before they compressed it down to fit the format, 1920x1080.

The last Lord of the Rings movie was shot in 8K resolution; it didn't make the DVD version "8K".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheTerrorBeyond

Re: Movies mastered in 4K, not UHD discs

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/w ... ce-2917016

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully…) frame-by-frame compression process."
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.