DTS-HD MA 7.1

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
WldsGrtst

DTS-HD MA 7.1

Post by WldsGrtst »

For some reason all the DTS-HD MA 7.1 discs that I rip only playback in 5.1 on my receiver. I have tried using Kodi, Plex, and the native video player on my Nvidia Shield. All the video players show the audio track to be 7.1, but only 5.1 gets played when passthrough the Shield. Dolby TrueHD 7.1 plays back as 5.1.2 (the .2 being ceiling speakers) just fine, so I feel it has something to do with DTS-HD MA and how MakeMKV rips the audio track . Any suggestions??
Knocks

Re: DTS-HD MA 7.1

Post by Knocks »

I have a question related to this topic. Why does MakeMKV not select DTS-HD MA 7.1 by default? Instead, it selects the DTS-HD 5.1 track.

I play all my MKVs on a set-top Kodi box. If 7.1 is not supported by most hardware, then I am happy to leave it out and save hard drive space, but I want to know if that's the real reason that MakeMKV omits it.
Woodstock

Re: DTS-HD MA 7.1

Post by Woodstock »

You can tell MakeMKV to use different defaults by enabling Expert mode and using a different profile, or just changing the default selection string (you can't change that unless you're in Expert mode).

The defaults in MakeMKV are for compatibility with devices that cannot deal with the higher-profile audio.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging