Shannara Chronicles Season 2 - UK release

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
preserve

Shannara Chronicles Season 2 - UK release

Post by preserve »

The episode playlists available for ripping all have a 1:30 leader with a test signal, as well as an episode title card from the production company, at the top of the episode.

(Disc 1 has 4 episodes, Disc 2 has 3 episodes, Disc 3 has 3 episodes)

Any help to sort this out would be much appreciated!

MakeMKV logs attached.

EDIT: Other titles with this issue:

Expanse Season 1 UK - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20062
City of God - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23898
Attachments
MakeMKV_logs.zip
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
Last edited by preserve on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
preserve

Re: Shannara Chronicles Season 2 - UK release

Post by preserve »

This is what takes up a minute and a half at the top of each episode...

And of course with the ear piercing test signal sound :)

https://imgur.com/a/o5T9mLT
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

preserve wrote:MakeMKV appears to pick the wrong playlists for all episodes on all 3 discs, possibly ruling out the correct ones as duplicates.
The episode playlists available for ripping all have a 1:30 leader with a test signal, as well as an episode title card from the production company, at the top of the episode.
This is (still) a limitation of MakeMKV. The playlists are correct, but the program fails to remove unused video at start. The MPLS file specifies what M2TS to use and how to join them. Also it can specify what parts of M2TS files to use. This is almost never used in practice - I've seen less than 10 discs total that have MPLS saying "use xxx.m2ts from 1:30 to the end". MakeMKV currently ignores the "cut" information in MPLS files, so you get entire M2TS. The proper MPLS parsing is on a to-do list. For now you'll have to cut 1:30 with mkvtoolnix.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Ah, thanks for the explanation, glad to know it's a known issue.

Test dumps submitted.

I'm pretty sure I have another disc with similar issue that I now believe would be this same issue - I just can't remember what the disc was!
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

I'm pretty sure I got mkvtools to fix this way back when. you should be able to drag the proper mpls file into the mkvtool gui and select the streams you want and make an mkv.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/985

If that's the same issue, mkvtoolnix should work now.
preserve

Post by preserve »

^ Cool, thanks for the update re: mkvtoolnix.

Still hoping that this can be addressed in MakeMKV in the future, even though it's quite a rare occurrence.
preserve

Post by preserve »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm
This is (still) a limitation of MakeMKV ... I've seen less than 10 discs total ... The proper MPLS parsing is on a to-do list.
Checking back in on this, 2 years later :D Is this still on the to-do list for sometime in the future, maybe via an optional preference setting? It's actually kind of interesting to see the title card and technical data from the source file, if it wasn't for the annoying beep of the test pattern.

I came across another disc with this today, "The Mad Magician 3D" from Indicator/Powerhouse (released March 2020), which has the issue for all 4 main titles - the feature in 2D, 3D, and two 3D shorts. Would it be any help to submit data from this disc?
preserve

Post by preserve »

By the way, in addition to the test signal and the title card at the top of the episodes, at the end of the episodes, sans audio, are textless versions of all shots that had credits etc overlaid, namely the intro sequence and all the first act shots that had credits. So that’s kind of interesting/cool as well. Perhaps a feature addressing this issue could be an optional toggle in the Preferences.
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

Was the same for the UK releases of The Expanse.

Easy to split using mkvtoolnix from the second chapter to second last chapter using mkvtoolnix as first chapter was all the title cards and the last chapter was the textless elements.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Reiver wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Was the same for the UK releases of The Expanse.
Oh nice lol, I have the US releases, maybe I have to import this now for the textless video! ;) Was it just the first season, or all 3 seasons?

Added the mention to the first post in this thread, thanks!
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

All three series. Not sure why you'd want the textless (and soundless) elements though!