Single, horizontal green line top of screen in bluray rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
calseeor

Single, horizontal green line top of screen in bluray rip

Post by calseeor »

Hello all,

I have a few blu rays that have created mkv files with a single horizontal line across the entire top of the screen. I Googled this and searched the forms here, but the terms of green and line bring up a bazillionzillion posts that have to do with a different form of green lines and rip error. In my case, there isn't any sort of error. In one case, the video itself played poorly, with some skips here and there (I don't recall which movie that was). The rest of the few that have this issue, have so far only contained the single green bar at the top, but otherwise play fine.

Any idea what I can do to resolve this?
If it matters, I do have a paid version of MakeMKV and did a full uninstall and then a clean install of the latest version as of yesterday, but I still get the same result (see screenshot).

The screenshot is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone from the "Harry Potter Complete 8-FILM collection" Blu-ray set.

It also happens in the martial art movie "Chocolate" and in "Blade Runner The Final Cut"

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
--Eryk
Attachments
GreenLine.png
GreenLine.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 9745 times
Woodstock

Re: Single, horizontal green line top of screen in bluray ri

Post by Woodstock »

Playback software/hardware?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
calseeor

Post by calseeor »

VLC Media Player 3.0.3 Vetinari

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 Ghz
16 Gig Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7770

So I literally just ripped Jurassic Park from the Jurassic Park Collection DVD set, and it did the same thing but worse. The video also seemed to skip a bit and was unwatchable. Because of your question as to what I was watching it on, I tried that file in Windows Media Player and it worked just fine.
My goal is watching the movies via Plex on my computer or smart tvs, so maybe I should toss one of these green bar rips over to my Plex server and try it to see if it plays normally. I had just figured that if it failed in VLC, it had an issue.

I shall return here to let you know my results. In the meantime, Woodstock, if you happen to see an issue with my playback choice for testing my rips, or my rig, please let me know.

Thank you.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

common issue with vlc, can google about it.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Never seen this issue... ever. I use K-Lite codec pack with Media Player Classic. My copy of VLC doesn't do this either, probably because K-Lite is decoding it.

Don't want to install codecs? Media Player Classic Black Edition or Kodi (or whatever it's called now)
calseeor

Post by calseeor »

So far, the few green bar rips I have, worked fine in Windows Media Player and Plex (Plex being what's important to me). I guess it really is a VLC issue like some have mentioned. I will look into the codex situation though, thanks Krawk. I'd like for VLC to work as its been my default for testing video for ages now.

Thank you all for your help.