Rebecca - Mono Sound Problems

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike_mgoblue

Rebecca - Mono Sound Problems

Post by mike_mgoblue »

Rebecca is having problems with Mono sounds on Blu-ray. ... I will explain.

Originally, I had purchased Rebecca on DVD. The video and the Mono audio could be heard fine on my computer. The video and the Mono audio could also be heard fine when I used the HDMI out of my laptop to watch on my TV - regardless of whether I used MPC-BE, MPC-HC, Windows Media Player, or VLC.

I recently purchased Rebecca on Blu-ray. I watched Rebecca in the default LPCM format using the HDMI out of my laptop using the HDMI cable to my TV and A/V Receiver. The audio and video were fine. The audio claims to be 7.1, but in reality it is just 1.0 Mono sound heard through the Center Channel. i was using the MPC-BE media player. I thought everything was okay.

I then decided to watch some of the Special Features videos of Rebecca on my TV using the HDMI output from my laptop, again using the MPC-BE media player. The first Special Feature video was the Trailer of the Re-Release. The sound format was Mono AC3 at 192kbs. I was stunned when the audio kept "stuttering" in the exact same spots every time. When I pushed "Display" on my A/V Receiver, It would go from saying "Dolby Digital' to "Unknown" during the points in time when the Mono audio would stutter.

I then watched another one of the Special Feature videos of Rebecca on my TV using the HDMI output from my laptop, again using the MPC-BE media player. The second Special Feature video was The Making of Rebecca. The sound format was again Mono AC3 at 192kbs. Again, I was stunned when the audio kept "stuttering" in the exact same spots every time. And again, when I pushed "Display" on my A/V Receiver, it would go from saying "Dolby Digital to "Unknown" during the points in time when the Mono audio would stop and stutter.

I then decided to watch the MKV version of Rebecca again. The default LPCM audio sounded fine. But, I manually changed the audio to the secondary format of AC3 Mono 1.0 at 192kbs. ... I was STUNNED when the Rebecca Blu-ray movie suddenly having those same types of "stutters" and "stops" in the audio. This confirmed to me the problem is with the 1.0 AC3 Mono format at 192kbs in each of the MKV files.

In each of these videos, if you watched for long enough, the audio would eventually not match up with the video. You could literally hear the audio, but the audio would not match up with the lips being shown on the TV screen.

For some reason, if you disconnect the HDMI cable and watch on the laptop, you do not hear these audio problems. This is interesting, because I had just successfully watched Tammy and Deadpool 2 on the TV using the MPC-BE media player with the HDMI cable.

If anyone knows what the problem could be and how to correct it, I would be very thankful.