Need help making a FLAC copy of the new Imagine box set

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
wingspan1985

Need help making a FLAC copy of the new Imagine box set

Post by wingspan1985 »

Hello all, I am very sorry to have to ask this. Just got the new Imagine box set, the high res audio is on the BD discs. Usually I use DAE, but it said that the disc is BD+ protected and recommended this program.

I have searched and searched, but I just don't know how to do it. MKV will load the disc, show all the contents and says make a mkv file. It is my understanding that when I make this file, DVD Audio Extractor can load that file and rip the songs to FLAC. But after I make the mkv file, I open DAE and select choose file, and the mkv file isn't even shown.

I'm using Windows 10, I know there must be some simple way to convert the high res files to FLAC, but I can't figure it out. Had never had a problem til now, but I haven't ripped a BD in quite some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Need help making a FLAC copy of the new Imagine box set

Post by Woodstock »

Enable Expert Mode in Preferences->General.
Before ripping, select the FLAC profile from the box that will appear on the main screen.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wingspan1985

Post by wingspan1985 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this program, I guess what I needed to do was do a backup. But that was all greyed out. Someone on another forum told me not to click the drive, that blocks backup. Sure enough it worked. Then I load the file into DVD Audio Extractor, and it still says BD+ protection. Turns out I didn't click the decrypt video files box, so I'm starting the backup over. Hopefully this time it works.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it. Hopefully this will work, if not I may have more questions.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Backup only works on Bluray, and it does NO audio conversion. It is only when you use "Open" (the big button that looks like a disk) and "Save to MKV" that conversion is possible.

Backup does just that - a backup of the files on the disk, as they are (with or without encryption), and no changes to any of the tracks within the M2TS and play list files. If there was BD+ on the disk, it still exists in the backup.

BD+ will be removed when saving to MKV files, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wingspan1985

Post by wingspan1985 »

Thanks a lot for all the help. I did get it to work. I did backup the BD, and checked the decrypt box. Then I opened that file with DVD Audio Extractor and was able to convert the files to FLAC. There was no metadata available, so I had to type in all the song names. The Imagine album in 24/96 is around 700 MB, not too bad.

I might have made it a lot harder, maybe MKV could do all of this. I was just told this method in another popular music forum. I thank you very much for the help and the wonderful program, do think I will purchase it.