Using Process Monitor Questions...

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
EvNmadtown

Using Process Monitor Questions...

Post by EvNmadtown »

I have been using Process Monitor to identify the *.MPLS file that has the correct playlist. This is primarily on Lionsgate Blu Ray Movies, but I know other studios use this same technique to hide the correct MPLS.

This has worked absolutely fine until I recently purchased the retail Blu Ray Overboard. Process Monitor shows that the MPS being played by Cyberlink is 00179.MPLS. Yet when I watch the produced MKV file it is clearly not the correct playlist.

With Process Monitor running on one monitor, I start the disc playing on my other monitor and watch as the different *.MPLS files are played as the disc cycles through all the previews, menus, and the finally gets to the movie. The final MPLS that is displayed as being accessed has always been the correct playlist for the movie. That is until now.

I have used this method successfully many times and never had a problem until this movie. Does anyone know what is behind this debauchery? I had to come to the forums on this website to find the correct playlist file.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Using Process Monitor Questions...

Post by Woodstock »

I remember reading a post a year or two ago about how the then-latest Lionsgate obfuscation included making PowerDVD rename a copy of the correct play list, so it looked like it was playing something unrelated to the correct playlist. The author had a couple of Youtube videos explaining it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
johng

Re: Using Process Monitor Questions...

Post by johng »

This is the link Woodstock was referring too for the case where the hide the real playlist in a cache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuz1sM4 ... I2aIP&t=0s