blue ray ripping issue

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Dorothymae

blue ray ripping issue

Post by Dorothymae »

I just paid and got the a key. And I'm having trouble with copy a blue ray disc. But I can copy dvds. If anyone ones knows how I can resolve this problem please help!
Woodstock

Re: blue ray

Post by Woodstock »

More information is necessary. There are lots of things that can affect bluray ripping, from a dirty disk to a new version of AACS that has blocked your drive from reading BDs. At this point in the conversation, though, there is no way to tell. We've even had people try reading BDs in a DVD-only drive.

Make sure you have debug logging turned on (link in my signature explains how), and post your log from an attempt to rip a BD as part of your reply.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dorothymae

Re: blue ray ripping issue

Post by Dorothymae »

Thank you
So what I read from the response was that I would need a drive to read blue ray to use mkv to copy blue rays?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

First thing - MakeMKV is not a "copy utility" for disks; it's primarily for convert (ripping) titles off of optical media to your hard drive. Even its Bluray "backup" function will not produce a file that can be directly burned to a blank Bluray disk. THAT requires BD authoring software, and a BD burner drive.

And if your drive is not Bluray-compatible, you cannot read BDs with it; MakeMKV doesn't change that.

Beyond that, it should be able to read and convert BDs, and, with Debug logging turned on, it should log what it does, and any errors it encounters. We need to see the log information to know what is going on.
Dorothymae

Post by Dorothymae »

I do understand stand that it dose not copy blue ray disc to another blank disc. It is used for ripping. My my drive dose not read blue ray. So you have answered my Question I think. I need to purchase a drive that reads blue ray disk. Am I correct?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, you will. Fortunately, they're not that expensive anymore.

They get a bit more expensive if you want to get ready for UHD video, but regular bluray drives are under USD 50 many places.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@DorothyMae

Before you go spending any money, can you please tell us what make/model drive do you have? (You can see this information on the right hand side when you open MakeMKV)
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Dorothymae

Post by Dorothymae »

Here is the make / model
OS device name: E:
Product: DVD-Ram GHBON
Model: RK03
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Thanks Dorothymae,

Unfortunately you will need to purchase a Blu-Ray Writer if you want to rip Blu-Ray discs.

Also, if you have any interest in ripping Ultra HD Blu-Rays (UHD) either now or in the future, I would recommend purchasing a 'UHD Friendly' blu-ray writer, which can currently rip DVD/Blu-ray/UHD.

The most common 'UHD friendly' models are:

LG WH16NS40
LG BH16NS40
LG BH16NS55
ASUS BW-16D1HT

Other models are:

LG WH16NS58
ASUS BW-12B1ST
ASUS BC-12D2HT

There are a couple of people on this forum that have some drives for sale. See this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

If you are not at all interested in UHD Blu-Ray then any standard Blu-Ray writer would do.

Good Luck...
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Dorothymae

Post by Dorothymae »

Thank you so much. I will check the link you sent me. I do think that UHD will be for the future as well.

Thank you again😊