Ripping Offline Help?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BlackLash

Ripping Offline Help?

Post by BlackLash »

Can makemkv rip BD offline? I heard different software like RedFox and DVDFab requires internet connection where decryption info is pulled from an Online Protection Database, otherwise it won't work. I was wondering if makemkv can act as a standalone with just the setup and a registered key without internet connection, and that support for new BDs would be added to each new setup/update version of the software. Much appreciated for your time.
Woodstock

Re: Ripping Offline Help?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV works just fine off-line for Bluray and DVD. If you're ripping a "released yesterday UHD", it will likely tell you that it can't find the key for that, though.

It really only checks for an update on start-up, and loads the latest hashed keys file if you are ripping a disk that requires it. You can stop those checks by going to Preferences->General, and unchecking "Allow contacting web server for updates".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlackLash

Post by BlackLash »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm
MakeMKV works just fine off-line for Bluray and DVD. If you're ripping a "released yesterday UHD", it will likely tell you that it can't find the key for that, though.

It really only checks for an update on start-up, and loads the latest hashed keys file if you are ripping a disk that requires it. You can stop those checks by going to Preferences->General, and unchecking "Allow contacting web server for updates".
Thank you for the reply. To clarify even further, I was hoping if you could answer the following:

Where would this file with the hashed keys be stored on my system? I'm wondering if I can save this file and just put into the designated folder for my offline PC without internet connection. If there is no file, then is the newest version of a standalone setup enough to break encryption for BDs that were released a few months prior?

Example: Standalone Setup (v2018-12-20) to rip BD (Released on 2018-10-20). Since no internet connection is possible for my other PC, it's never updated to load the latest keys. What I'm asking is if that Setup contains keys for BDs prior to the date of its release. Or is there a file that stores these keys located in the directory path for makemkv, in that case I can just import it to my USB and place it into the correct folder of my offline PC.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV currently stores the data as part of a file named _private_data.tar in your MakeMKV data directory. This is a "tarball" of multiple files that MakeMKV uses, but you could manually download the hashkey file and transfer it separately. There are also SVQ files for dealing with "odd" implementations of BD+ that have appeared since a version release that are included in the .tar file.

People more familiar with UHD ripping would have to explain where to get the file manually; I do very little with UHD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging