Changes Aspect Ratio

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
luckywales

Changes Aspect Ratio

Post by luckywales » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi - while this topic has been posted, I see no solutions. I'm ripping my own copy of Thunderball (Bond). I have changed no settings within MakeMKV. When I play it just the MKV it created in WMP, or VLC, or via Plex to my TV, the movie fills the screen in height but has black bars on either side. If I play the BD itself I have the "normal" 16:9 letter box. What is MakeMKV doing to change the aspect ratio? I really just thought it was a throughput program and didn't screw with wnything...

Any help would be much appreciated - I want an exact replica of what I would see if playing the BD itself.

wmcclain

Re: Changes Aspect Ratio

Post by wmcclain » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:51 pm

There is a free utility called "mediainfo": http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Could you run that against your mkv file and post the text output here?
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:54 pm

luckywales wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:54 pm
Hi - while this topic has been posted, I see no solutions. I'm ripping my own copy of Thunderball (Bond). I have changed no settings within MakeMKV. When I play it just the MKV it created in WMP, or VLC, or via Plex to my TV, the movie fills the screen in height but has black bars on either side. If I play the BD itself I have the "normal" 16:9 letter box. What is MakeMKV doing to change the aspect ratio? I really just thought it was a throughput program and didn't screw with wnything...

Any help would be much appreciated - I want an exact replica of what I would see if playing the BD itself.
MakeMKV changes nothing other than repackaging A/V streams in an .mkv container. The difference is how a player interprets the video stream. A commercial disc player will make appropriate AR adjustments automatically. A software player playing an .mkv container may not. It MAY offer a manual ZOOM option, etc. to compensate? Disc authoring varies & what seems a problem for one video, may not be for another.

Post-processing with a tool like Handbrake offers the option of cropping out the 'black bar' padding, but it's not something MakeMKV does.

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm sure that there are NO black bars inside the mkv file. To add this, MakeMKV have to re-encode the stream from the Blu-ray, but this does not happen. VLC has also some tricky options for zoom, Aspect etc.

wmcclain

Post by wmcclain » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Grauhaar wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:00 pm
I'm sure that there are NO black bars inside the mkv file. To add this, MakeMKV have to re-encode the stream from the Blu-ray, but this does not happen.
Well, no, that's not right. Native Blu-ray is always 1920x1080 with square pixel sampling. Any title that is not exactly 16:9 will have black bars and so will the ripped MKV.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm talking about black bars on the sides as the thread creator. MakeMKV does not change the content.

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Just checked, only the first three Bonds have black side bares because they are in approx 1:1,66 aspect ratio, all others have no side bars because most of them are in 1:2,35 (black bars on top and below).