Burn 4K ISO to non-4K blu-ray disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dvdplayer

Burn 4K ISO to non-4K blu-ray disc

Post by dvdplayer »

Hi all,

My apologies if this question has already been answered (I don't believe it has).

My question is, am I able to burn a 24.3GB 4K movie ISO to a 25GB non-4K bluray disc and play it on a non-4K bluray player?

Yes I know its a stupid question, I'm just curious if anyone has attempted this.

Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: Burn 4K ISO to non-4K blu-ray disc

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has nothing to do with BURNING disks. That is up to whatever disk authoring software you obtain.

MakeMKV will not "shrink" the video to fit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dvdplayer wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 am
Hi all,

My apologies if this question has already been answered (I don't believe it has).

My question is, am I able to burn a 24.3GB 4K movie ISO to a 25GB non-4K bluray disc and play it on a non-4K bluray player?

Yes I know its a stupid question, I'm just curious if anyone has attempted this.

Thank you.
I would assume it won't play on a non-4k player as again, I assume, the player would not support HEVC.

You could try to re-encode all video files as x264 then create a new iso or just find a software than can rip/convert a UHD to BD.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Not possible! Blu-ray players do not support the HEVC (H.265) Video codec. Re-econding of the video part to H.264 must be done within the M2TS stream files, I think there is no tool available to do this. An other problem can be (not sure) different structures, flags, features etc. between normal Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays.
Good Luck :)

Post by dvdplayer »

Thanks guys,

From my understanding it's the codec that sets them apart not the discs.

So this means that non-4k discs can be used for 4k content as long as there is space, but only playable on a 4k player.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:12 am
Not possible! Blu-ray players do not support the HEVC (H.265) Video codec. Re-econding of the video part to H.264 must be done within the M2TS stream files, I think there is no tool available to do this. An other problem can be (not sure) different structures, flags, features etc. between normal Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays.
DVDFab has a "UHD to Blu-Ray" option. You can save as folder or iso.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Ah, buy a UHD disc and need to play it in an Blu-ray player. Crazy World :shock: Why not in an DVD player?
Good Luck :)