The Martian - will not rip with any subtiles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kahasm

The Martian - will not rip with any subtiles

Post by kahasm »

ripping the Martian works perfectly (zero errors). I do not understand any other language than English so for the most part it is all good. except for the few minutes in the movie where the two executives in China are discussing adding their rocket to assist. They are speaking in Chinese. Now when running the blu-ray itself, you get English subtitles when they speak. I wanted this on the rip but no matter which options are selected (or combo of options) no subtitles will be included in the rip.

I suppose this is kharma. since I have been using MKV, I never have cared one whit about subtitles so I have always unchecked them before the rip. but the one movie I want them, it does not work. LOL

any ideas?
Attachments
MKV-Martian rip.jpg
MKV-Martian rip.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Grauhaar

Re: The Martian - will not rip with any subtiles

Post by Grauhaar »

kahasm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:17 am
I wanted this on the rip but no matter which options are selected (or combo of options) no subtitles will be included in the rip.
Sure? You have selected two ENG subtitle tracks (the other languages are not needed), which can result in two additional "Forced" subtitle tracks for individual forced flagged subtitles, extracted from the main subtitle track. If there are no "forced flagged subtitles" in the track, a message indicates this and the addional "forced" track is removed. But normaly, one of the two ENG tracks should include the "Forced" subtitles.

Checked with VLC by selecting the subtitle tracks?

What playing Software is used?
Good Luck :)

Post by kahasm »

yes i am sure. i have ripped it with no subs, 1 eng sub, more than 1, all subs; doesnt matter in the least which subs are selected none will add into movie
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"None will be added INTO the movie"

MakeMKV will only put the tracks you select into the MKV file. Adding them to the displayed video requires that your player be compatible, OR that you use post-processing to "burn them in".

It's been a while since I ripped TM, but the MKV file that resulted had two English subtitle tracks; one with "everything", one with just the Russian and Chinese dialog. Neither track had any "forced" flags.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging