Rip of Arrival includes voice-over

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dealio

Rip of Arrival includes voice-over

Post by dealio »

I just ripped Arrival UHD using a BH16NS40 drive with MakeMKV v1.14.5 and the result was a video with voice-over (starting from the opening scene which has no speaking). I also have the BD disc and will rip that to see if I get the same result. I've attached pics to show the Info Panel and the Source Info area.
Source information area
Source information area
Source info UHD.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
Info panel on right
Info panel on right
Info Panel UHD.png (26.73 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
Not sure why I got voice-over, but the protection on the UHD disc is different than the BD disc:
Source info for BD disc
Source info for BD disc
Source info BD.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
Would appreciate any tips on what's going wrong or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
David

PS: I finished the rip of the standard Blu-ray version of Arrival and it has the same voice-over problem. I've also attached a debug log, just in case it's helpful.
dealio

Re: Rip of Arrival includes voice-over

Post by dealio »

I wasn't able to attach a fourth file (the debug log), so it's attached to this reply.

David
Attachments
MakeMKV_BD_log.txt
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has selection rules for audio and subtitle tracks. The default rule favors "higher quality" (more channels) sources. Some disks use 5.1 or 7.1 for the descriptive audio track, and only Stereo for the movie. Which track do you think wins the selection race?

This topic describes how to manually select tracks when the default rule chooses poorly.

You MIGHT want to consider having MakeMKV select ALL audio tracks, and select which ones to keep later. Remove the unwanted tracks with either mkvmerge or handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dealio

Post by dealio »

Thanks. I have tried having MakeMKV extract all audio, but I didn’t know about mkvmerge or the ability to remove unwanted tracks. For that matter, finding the unwanted track sounds like it will be a manual task.

On a related thought, I wonder if there is capability to preview what will rip given the choices I make on the left? That certainly would be a nice feature to verify that I’m getting what I think I’m getting before spending the not insignificant time ripping the disc.

I’ll be checking out mkvmerge and handbrake, which I have also, but haven’t really become conversant with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

dealio wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:21 am
but I didn’t know about mkvmerge or the ability to remove unwanted tracks.
Use "MKVToolNIX GUI" (mkvmerge is part of it), but the GUI is easy to handle. Load the created MKV file in the Muxxer Window, deselect the unwanted track(s), or change the order of the tracks by using the up and down symbols (f.e. shift the unwanted comment track behind the other(s)), set the "Default" flag for the first track and klick on "Muxxing" to create a new mkv file.
Good Luck :)