Optical Drive Not Recognized

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Metanym

Optical Drive Not Recognized

Post by Metanym »

Hi. I'm new to this.

I have a brand new (days old) external blu ray drive and an Acer laptop running WIndows 10 Home (64 bit), it's around 2-4 years old, somewhere in there. Running a bit slow but only very recently. Been fine otherwise up until now.

I'm trying to backup RWBY Volume 1 and Windows recognizes the disc just fine, but Make MKV gives me this:

MakeMKV v1.14.5 win(x64-release) started
The program can't find any usable optical drives.

I've moved the install folder from "Program Files (x84)" to just "Program Files" (I have no "Program Files (x32) folder). I turned Controlled Folder Access on and granted exceptions for everything in the x84 folder, then turned it off but somehow Windows still blocked a few controlled folder updates. One of them was to something called "au", I forget the file extension on that though. I manually applied each one of them through the Windows Security interface. Restarted my computer. Tried several times to not launch Make MKV until after I saw Windows recognize the disc (I watched "This PC" and waited for the icon for the drive to update). Tried running it as administrator. Tried that in combination with not launching the program until I heard the drive making noises. Tried waiting variable lengths of time without running as admin. Tried waiting variable lengths of time WITH running as admin. Not sure what else to try here. Still it says this:

Sometimes, when I wait just the middle amount of time to hear sounds from the drive before launching the program, it'll seem to actually think about what it's scanning for around 6-10 seconds maybe. Oh, and I tried upping the "read retry count", not sure if that's even relevant or not.

Any help appreciated.
mike admin

Re: Optical Drive Not Recognized

Post by mike admin »

Metanym wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:33 pm
Please run MakeMKV installer again and select to install WinCdArb service. If this still doesn't work, then please post the log file.