Godfather no subtitles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
is14fun

Godfather no subtitles

Post by is14fun »

I used DVDFab to copy Godfather to hard drive and then used MakeMKV to package it. However when I played it back, there were no subtitles. This was first conversion so not totally sure if I used MakeMKV correctly. Any suggestions on what went wrong? I unchecked all but English in subtitles. I also had all of the sound formats checked. Is that the best way or should I select one sound format?
servocrow

Re: Godfather no subtitles

Post by servocrow »

i also had a hell of a time with subs on these titles, and since the BRs didnt look too much better than the dvds i ended up transcodeing the dvds to avi, where the subs work. I tried several times to get the subs to work via mkv and was unsuccessful, any ideas would be appreciated, if a workable solution is found I would most likley retranscode these titles
skittle

Post by skittle »

What were you using to playback? Its likely that your player does not support PGS subtitles used in blurays.

By the way, makemkv does not need dvdfab to decrypt it first, makemkv can handle the decryption and mkv muxing on its own. You can also safely disable all audio streams you do not want.
servocrow

Post by servocrow »

MAKEMKV is not perfect and its WEAKEST feature is decrypting, again, why bank on ONE TOOL? there is a whole section here just listing disc that are problematic....

anywho thats what worked for me, if ANYONE has a sure fire to enable subs foor this title, froma BR source into an MKV container then let er rip!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@servocrow

Hi!
MAKEMKV is not perfect and its WEAKEST feature is decrypting
I beg to differ with you, particularly with regard to Blu-ray discs.

As of this moment, there is not one legitimate, commercial Blu-ray disc (I have more than 900) for which I've not been able to perform a full disc and "main movie" .MKV backup with, at most, a 24 hour delay for a new SVQ key release. (Except of course, "Avatar", that tookMike and friends about a week to crack for ALL 9 versions - much sooner than DVDFab and AnyDVDHD)

servocrow

Post by servocrow »

umm then why the entire forum section concenring problematic BLU and dvd discs?

again all im saying its nice to have an arsenal of tools. I already had AnyD*D so I tend to use only because its quickier than MAKEMKV wehn ripping disc, I fuly support MAKEMKV, i even own a serial, all im saying its not the ONLY tool that does the job, thats just silly to even think thats the case

back to the subject at hand, I myself found no WORKABLE subtitle fix that would work correctly
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

umm then why the entire forum section concenring problematic BLU and dvd discs?
When you cull out the damaged/dirty discs, poorly mastered discs, problem drives, "other-than-purchased" media, those using outdated versions, there are very few such truly problematic Blu-ray discs that remain unresolved - and when compared to the number of Blu-ray discs being processed by the members of this forum (one can only speculate), the percentage of actual problems is miniscule...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

servocrow wrote:umm then why the entire forum section concenring problematic BLU and dvd discs?
Most if not all problems arise because of conversion to MKV. You are free to use MakeMKV in "backup" mode where it would only decrypt files like AnyDVD. There is no single blu-ray disc to date that MakeMKV couldn't decrypt. Not to mention that MakeMKV decrypts discs faster and unlike any other ripper validates content hashes, ensuring no transfer errors.