mkv 2 mp4

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Petersillien

mkv 2 mp4

Post by Petersillien »

I usually convert mkv files to mp4 using Handbrake.
It works well with mkv coming from DVD disks.
There is a problem with subtitles with mkv files coming from Bluray disks: I can choose only one sub track, and it works only if it is forced.

Is there some other software that allows a better management of subtitles tracks when converting an MKV file that comes from a Bluray disk?

Tahnk You,
Petersillien
Woodstock

Re: mkv 2 mp4

Post by Woodstock »

No.

PGS subtitles are not supported in MP4 files. Technically, neither are VOBSUB subtitles from DVDs, but some software allows them, so you can include them in handbrake.

Best option is to make sure your playback software/hardware understands MKV files. Otherwise, the options are tedious and unreliable.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
gaitkeeper

Post by gaitkeeper »

Is there a reliable software I can use to compress the MKV? I'm used to DVD's being 5-7GB a jump to 30GB is going to eat up space quick!
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

gaitkeeper wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm
Is there a reliable software I can use to compress the MKV? I'm used to DVD's being 5-7GB a jump to 30GB is going to eat up space quick!
HandBrake is free. Try various settings on just one chapter of a movie until you find a set you like. It can also "burn-in" subtitles for foreign languages, if needed.
sfeinst

Post by sfeinst »

This is not exactly what you are asking about, but... To handle subtitles, I don't bother burning them in. Instead, I download a subtitle file (there's a few sites which have them, I use https://subscene.com). As long as the subtitle file has the same name (not extension, subtitle will be srt) and can be found, it displays. In this way, I can have multiple subtitle files for different languages if I desire. Or I can remove the file and get rid of the subtitle without affecting the video.

On a computer, I use VLC to play my videos. It supports the srt files and gives the ability to set the path to the file locations. I also tried this on my Samsung TV. I placed the subtitle file in the same location as my MP4 and the TV was able to use it as well.

This solution is very dependent on the software being used to play the video, so YMMV. But it could work and save you some time.