Hunt for Red October dies half way through

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
railgun

Hunt for Red October dies half way through

Post by railgun »

Preface: I'm re-running for the purposes of submitting a dump and will do so as soon as it fails.

Similar to an old DVD thread from a very long time ago, I'm trying to rip the above from an original commercial disk. I swear I'd done this before successfully, but due to whatever reason, I'm ripping it again.

It starts fine, but dies half way through, as though it has an issue switching layers or something to that effect, at which point it crashes. I'm hoping it's not a physical issue, though from my perspective, I can't imagine anything has happened to this disk. I'm currently trying on a flashed 12D2HT on 3.11. I will try on a flashed 16D1HT shortly, but I believe I've tried on these before as well as a UH12NS40 with the same result, suggesting it is a disk issue.

We'll see what the dump suggests, but I'm creating this thread simply to see if other have actually encountered the same, but I suspect not.

TIA

EDIT:

And I'm now convinced it IS a physical issue. I'll still send some dumps to confirm.
jmbladen

Re: Hunt for Red October dies half way through

Post by jmbladen »

I am having the exact same issue. I've tried two completely different "hunt" Blu-ray disks a month apart and can't rip either of them. I have ripped other Blu-Ray disks with the same drive and computer hardware before and after the failure to rip "hunt." I've also tried connecting the external drive to a different computer and have the same experience. The output error is "HARDWARE ERROR:TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR"

I have also tried copying the contents of the disk using the Mac Finder to a hard drive and then try to decrypt files from that hard disk copy. That also fails because of a missing key. Here is the error produced.

MakeMKV v1.15.1 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "BD-ROM hp BD CMB UJ160 1.00d" opened in OS access mode.
Opening files on harddrive at /Users/jeffbladen/Desktop/Hunt
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as /Users/jeffbladen/.MakeMKV/MKB_v7_The_Hunt_For_Red_October_BB20.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
Woodstock

Re: Hunt for Red October dies half way through

Post by Woodstock »

Hunt for Red October BD is a rather old title, and v7 of AACS is equally old.

Send the tgz file to svq@makemkv.com for Mike to look at.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging