Star Wars The Complete Saga Blue Ray Alien Subtitles Missing

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
oatmeal769

Star Wars The Complete Saga Blue Ray Alien Subtitles Missing

Post by oatmeal769 »

Star Wars The Complete Saga Blue Ray set (first six movies) purchased from Amazon in 2011. The discs appear normal in every way.

The disks provide alien subtitles in whatever font Star Wars uses for their releases when played on a standard blue ray player.

Once ripped, it doesn't matter which player I use, there are no subtitles. No matter whether subtitles are enabled or not, regardless of which of the subtitle tracks or angle choice, audio, or language I pick to rip, there are no alien subtitles.

I have tried every option available, from burning every single angle and checkbox to only English subtitles, all subtitles, none, etc. This example only selects "angle one" and "track 800" which I understand is the English version, along with English subtitles.

I've enabled debugging on this run, should I post it here, or send it?

I have searched and found these topics. No avail.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ien#p49364
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ray#p70377
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ien#p87261
Attachments
Example.02.png
Example.02.png (153.23 KiB) Viewed 18542 times
Example.01.png
Example.01.png (149.39 KiB) Viewed 18542 times
20200510_080224.jpg
20200510_080224.jpg (369.02 KiB) Viewed 18542 times
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars The Complete Saga Blue Ray Alien Subtitles Missing

Post by Woodstock »

Star Wars titles are a bit of a pain when it comes to subtitles. For the "foreign audio only" or "forced" subtitles, the subtitle track number varies from 4 to 7 over the different movies. I made a list when I ripped them, but gave it to someone else when they ripped their set.

For me, it was relatively easy to find, because I have MakeMKV rip ALL audio and subtitle tracks, then sort them out after the rip. Playing the MKV file in VLC, I can determine with audio tracks I want and which subtitle tracks should be first, then process through handbrake to move things around. You can do the same thing with mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix utilities) if you do not want to recompress the video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Star Wars titles are a bit of a pain when it comes to subtitles. For the "foreign audio only" or "forced" subtitles, the subtitle track number varies from 4 to 7 over the different movies. I made a list when I ripped them, but gave it to someone else when they ripped their set.

For me, it was relatively easy to find, because I have MakeMKV rip ALL audio and subtitle tracks, then sort them out after the rip. Playing the MKV file in VLC, I can determine with audio tracks I want and which subtitle tracks should be first, then process through handbrake to move things around. You can do the same thing with mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix utilities) if you do not want to recompress the video.
Tried all of that, hoping to find the right track and delete the rest.
I even ripped all 9 'views' along with every single tick box checked for every language, and every subtitle. (It took nearly 5 hours to rip, as opposed to about 40.) MkMkV deletes a lot that it finds as blank, but much of it comes through. Still, nothing.

Is there any way to see what may be going on in the debugging log?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The tracks that are deleted as empty are ones MakeMKV is creating via filtering the existing tracks for any subtitles that are flagged as "forced", and there are none of those on the SW disks.

Question - are you expecting subtitles for every place where aliens speak? Not everything is explicitly translated.
schorman

Post by schorman »

Are you aware that there are no alien subtitles in Revenge of the Sith? You're not finding any on the disc because they aren't needed for that film. This would apply to Empire Strikes Back (and The Last Jedi) as well.
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

I was aware that several of the discs have no alien translations applied.

I re-ripped "Episode 4" where I KNOW Han Solo's conversation with Greedo has translations applied. This time I ripped every single file, regardless of language or application. I kept messing with different selections until I found one which only happens to translate alien dialog - This is what I wanted. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell WHICH file was the one that applies the correct subtitling.
Now I guess I have to keep re-ripping, eliminating one file at a time until I find which one does what I need...

Surely others have encountered this issue with these disks - AND kept a record? I know I will, and re-post here when I get it. Looks like I'm in for a few needless days of ripping and re-ripping at least six of the nine episodes.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

oatmeal769 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm
Now I guess I have to keep re-ripping, eliminating one file at a time until I find which one does what I need...
With "MKVToolNIX GUI" you can simply deselect the unwanted subtitle tracks and remux the file. Bingo, that's all!

The order is the same as in VLC, simple counting ....
Good Luck :)

Post by oatmeal769 »

Grauhaar wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:19 pm
With "MKVToolNIX GUI" you can simply deselect the unwanted subtitle tracks and remux the file. Bingo, that's all!
Ahh, good call, thank you, I'll do that!
Grauhaar wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:19 pm
The order is the same as in VLC, simple counting ....
I hope so. I read a few other posts here which said it could be one of several, but not consistently the same number. I also use MPC-HC, but I'd guess it puts the tracks in order as well.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

There is a thread elsewhere in this forum telling you which track for which title.
I had followed those instructions for the same exact set you're showing and it worked correctly.
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

Krawk wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm
There is a thread elsewhere in this forum telling you which track for which title.
I had followed those instructions for the same exact set you're showing and it worked correctly.
Really? I really looked around, must not have used the right search terms. I found one regarding the 4K releases, and Best Buy ones, but not this. Would you be willing to post a link?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Krawk wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm
You mean this one?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

oatmeal769 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 pm
I hope so. I read a few other posts here which said it could be one of several, but not consistently the same number. I also use MPC-HC, but I'd guess it puts the tracks in order as well.
If you view the created mkv file with all subtitles in VLC and "edit" the same mkv file in MKVToolNIX GUI, the track order is the same. Tracks have ID numbers, so the same sequence is given.
Good Luck :)

Post by engrdan »

oatmeal769 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm
I was aware that several of the discs have no alien translations applied.

I re-ripped "Episode 4" where I KNOW Han Solo's conversation with Greedo has translations applied. This time I ripped every single file, regardless of language or application. I kept messing with different selections until I found one which only happens to translate alien dialog - This is what I wanted. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell WHICH file was the one that applies the correct subtitling.

Surely others have encountered this issue with these disks - AND kept a record? I know I will, and re-post here when I get it. Looks like I'm in for a few needless days of ripping and re-ripping at least six of the nine episodes.
Hey Oatmeal, I'm very knew to this as well and just started making my Plex library but I also have the Star Wars The Complete Saga blue-ray collection and was wondering if you ended up keeping a record of which tracks and subtitles you used? I'm having the same iteration issue trying to find the right ones for forced English alien subtitles.

Thanks.
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

engrdan wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Hey Oatmeal, I'm very knew to this as well and just started making my Plex library but I also have the Star Wars The Complete Saga blue-ray collection and was wondering if you ended up keeping a record of which tracks and subtitles you used? I'm having the same iteration issue trying to find the right ones for forced English alien subtitles.
Thanks.
IIRC, it was usually track number four. I think... I re-named each to be consistent with Plex/Kodi media organizer parameters, so I don't have which ones they are anymore.
I also seem to remember that the subtitle track number is actually fairly consistent. It takes a while to rip every track, but once you find which one is right, continue to rip every track on each subsequent movie just in case it's different.
But when you go to search, pick the same number (i.e. track 4) first to check. The rest of the tracks can then be deleted.
engrdan

Post by engrdan »

Thanks for the quick reply! I just have a couple clarifying questions for you;
When I load the disk for A New Hope in MakeMKV I see 6 separate PGS English and associated "forced only" subtitle groups in 3 pairs (see image below). Did you end up just checking the box for the 4th PGS English subtitles and skipped the PGS English forced only?