Star Wars Rise of Skywalker BluRay Descriptive Audio Issue

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
firepower

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker BluRay Descriptive Audio Issue

Post by firepower »

Has anyone had any success with the standard Blu Ray version of Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker? I've used MakeMKV to "successfully" rip it multiple times with various audio options checked but I either end up with the Descriptive audio on or NO audio at all. I finally just ripped it with the default MakeMKV settings and then tried to use the MKVToolNix GUI to just take out the unwanted track. Unfortunately, the result is the same. If I uncheck the AC-3 audio track (my best guess for the Descriptive audio track), I get NO audio at all in the file. Leaving that box checked and I get the normal movie audio and music...but with the Descriptive audio.

Make MKV settings:

MakeMKV.png
MakeMKV.png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

MKVTookNix GUI settings:

Audio.png
Audio.png (17.53 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars Rise of Skywalker BluRay Descriptive Audio Issue

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely, your playback system isn't compatible with DTS, so it falls back to the first track it CAN play. Remove that track and there's nothing compatible.

I recommend ripping with all audio tracks, then see what you can play with VLC. You may have to convert the DTS audio to AC3 for your system.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
firepower

Post by firepower »

So apparently this is an artifact of Windows Media player. When I played it with VLC it was just fine (regular audio without the Descriptive audio) and when I uploaded to my Plex server it plays perfectly there as well. Thank you @Woodstock for the tip! I would probably STILL be banging my head up against the wall on this one, lol. All is well now.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can ask MakeMKV to convert the DTS track(s) to AAC, using the profile "AAC-Stereo", but I've never done it myself. You can actually get "Codec packs" to add DTS compatibility to Windows Media Player, but some of the sources seem to be rather shady sites...

Everything I rip goes through handbrake, and I let it convert DTS and DTS-HD MA tracks to AC3, AAC, and then pass through a copy, for when/if I buy a theater amp that handles DTS. That allows me to position the tracks so they're found better by the playback device, and has the added benefit of making the video half the size.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging