Can't Rip "The Simpsons Movie" D'oh!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
JohnnyPhantom

Can't Rip "The Simpsons Movie" D'oh!

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

I've been trying to Rip this movie for a while now.
I've tried about 9 or 10 different drives (of different makes and models), some less than a year old, some less than a week old, tried different machines, on Mac OS X 10.13, 10.14, and 10.15, Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows 10 Pro, and tried 5 different retail copies of this disc as well. I even lent the movie to a buddy with MakeMKV, same issue, it just will not rip.

I can copy all the files to my hard drive, and point MakeMKV to that folder and try to rip, and it acts the same way as ripping from the BluRay disc itself

Every so often, when a new version of MakeMKV releases I try all over again.

What can I do to rip this movie/disc? What information could I give to help troubleshoot? Can anyone rip this disc?

I've attached the latest log output to this post. I was unable to just copy and paste it in a reply, to large. Even the .txt file was too large, had to zip it first
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.zip
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
Last edited by JohnnyPhantom on Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Can't Rip "The Simpsons Movie" D'oh!

Post by Woodstock »

Knowing what the exact error message(s) were goes a long way towards solving an issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

Attached the log file to original post, took longer than I thought
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

What kind of Protection is shown in the MakeMKV window before you make the backup?

If you can copy all the files onto your hard disk without any problem, one could think the error is not a read error on the discs surface.

Throwing a guess out: Somehow the aacs certificate files on the disc are corrupt. MakeMKV tries to decrypt the m2ts files with wrong/no keys and gets these messages.
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

AACS v4, BD+ v2007.10
Attachments
MakeMKV.PNG
MakeMKV.PNG (83.21 KiB) Viewed 17676 times
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

Any ideas?
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

Tried in 1.15.2, still exact same issues
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What we can see of the errors are similar to what happens when the surface of the disk is contaminated or scratched. If read errors occur during the early stages of ripping, when the key information is read, pretty much everything else is going to fail.

Can we assume you went through the items in the "Read this if you're having errors" message pinned to the top of this forum?
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

Hey woodstock,
thanks for the reply. I've gone over the read this if having errors list many times, and no luck. I've tried 5 copies of the movie (3 preowned, and 2 brand new sealed) and about 5 blu ray drives, and 6 different machines (mac and windows) and same results each time.

What else can I try?
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

Just tried another machine, with another blu ray drive, tried one of the new copies of the movie straight from the box today, and then after a good cleaning, still no luck. I can copy all the data from the disc to the desktop and backup the disc from MKV but even then, I cannot rip the files into a MKV with MakeMKV
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It will do a complete backup, but won't convert to MKV?

I suggest you follow the FAQ in my signature and send the requested information to support@makemkv.com with a pointer to this topic. Mike has been distracted a lot with the UHD stuff, and may not have see this.

If you open the backup with MakeMKV, does it still fail converting to MKV?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Does the BluRay can be played after making the full disk backup?

I'd suggest downloading VLC portable if you don't have it. With Ctrl+D you can open the Drive menu. There select BluRay and then Browse to the directory containing the BDMV directory.
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

I tried this with no luck. VLC said i didn't have library's for Blu ray, so I fixed that, now says cant decode a BD+ blu ray. and that's where I got stuck
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Didn't you were able to make a decryptep backup with MakeMKV?
JohnnyPhantom

Post by JohnnyPhantom »

I got a few more copies (mix of used and new) of this movie, so about.... 9 total now. Latest version of MakeMKV Still the same results. Has anyone been able to rip the bluray version of "The Simpson movie"? I'll keep getting discs and drives as i see them in the wild. I'm crazy determined like that.