Region Encoding

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
DiscTrouble

Region Encoding

Post by DiscTrouble »

Hello all,

I was wondering if it's possible for MakeMKV to tell me which region encoding a particular Blu-Ray disc has?

Usually this information is on the packaging, but isn't always accurate. For example, it could be marked 'A', but be region free in reality.

Thank you!
Woodstock

Re: Region Encoding

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't care about region coding, so I do not recall if it even logs that information. On BDs, the region coding is enforced in the menus, rather than the drive, so the MKVs that result are "region free".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

It would still be a useful feature for MakeMKV to report what's on the disc as far as region locking goes... of course it doesn't concern us as far as backing up our discs, but since I participate on various Blu-ray forums with people who are traditional collectors, it would be nice to be able to report definitively what region encding discs have when people ask.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

There are already some methods for checking the region code.

There's a website that can read the BD region code and geolock flags from the MovieObject.bdmv file (source code)

Alternatively, change Blu-ray region code of VLC and boot the disc up with MakeMKV's integration function. I don't think there's a way to check for geolock flags in VLC.