suddenly no disc will rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
hiacedrifter

suddenly no disc will rip

Post by hiacedrifter »

I've used makemkv for a few weeks ripping blu-rays, faultlessly. Suddenly every disc (4 so far!) gives a "failed to open disc" error. What might have changed? Has it expired (i have uninstalled and reinstalled). Could other software be affecting it? I literally cant get a single disc to rip.

Fails so far:

Mystery road
Blade runner
Deadwood series 1
The Survivalist
Woodstock

Re: suddenly no disc will rip

Post by Woodstock »

Without more information (such as a debug log), not much can be said - LOTS of reasons disks can fail to rip. So much so that there is a "Sticky" message at the top of this forum about dealing with errors.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hiacedrifter

Post by hiacedrifter »

Hi, this is not one disc! I ripped 30 or 40 discs with no problem. Suddenly 10 discs in a row wont rip, i.e. I can no longer rip anything. Is it possible I have inadvertently changed a seeting? Could a windows update have broken something? I was messing around with VLC workarounds to get it to play blu-ray ... could that have affected it?

I'm clutching at straws, but its not possible that i just happened to pick 10 blur-ays at random that wont rip.
hiacedrifter

Post by hiacedrifter »

I just tried the backup option, and that works (not sure what it is for but I'm experimenting!), but only if I don't tick the decrypt option. I wonder if that is related?
hiacedrifter

Post by hiacedrifter »

I turned on debug logging and saw this:

DEBUG: Code 5 at I4Oa1LB|rAXT>=_}Fzo!4:121262026
Error 'OS error - Access is denied' occurred while creating 'C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV/MKB_v49_save.tgz
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For the Access Denied error, Preferences->General, set the MakeMKV data directory to somewhere that you have permission to write to. My recommendation is a directory like "C:\MakeMKVData", so you remember what's in there.

Setting up the VLC integration should NOT interfere with MakeMKV itself working.
hiacedrifter

Post by hiacedrifter »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm
For the Access Denied error, Preferences->General, set the MakeMKV data directory to somewhere that you have permission to write to. My recommendation is a directory like "C:\MakeMKVData", so you remember what's in there.

Setting up the VLC integration should NOT interfere with MakeMKV itself working.
Thanks, I've now sorted that issue. But now back to original issue. I've gone from every disc rips, to every disc fails. Surely something has changed?

Latest disc (Young & innocent) gives this:

DEBUG: Code 0 at A4|1O]oNyrw2.-zn:121263958
DEBUG: Code 0 at A4|1O]oNyrw2.-zn:29395172
DEBUG: Code 233 at z5VZhqDoERx08LJUnzvqHG99:0
Failed to open disc
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There is important information at the start of the debug log that is often relevant. If you do not have a LibreDrive compatible disk, if you inserted a disk with too new a version of AACS, your drive could be blocked from reading ANY BD until a new version of MakeMKV is issued. That information will show up early in the log, even before you select files to rip.
hiacedrifter

Post by hiacedrifter »

Ok I've emailed over log files for one of the problem discs. I also sent over log files for the first problem disc I encountered on 6th july, but didnt hear back. By the way, is there a way to donate to patreon to support makemkv?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Email to support can take a bit of time - Mike gets to things as time permits.

The only "contributions" Mike accepts are purchases of permanent licenses, which is done through the Help->Purchase link in the program.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

hiacedrifter wrote:
Ok I've emailed over log files for one of the problem discs.
You will get the quickest help if you copy the entire log file into a code box in you next posting here. This will get more eyes looking at your problem. As Woodstock said, there are important notes at the start of the log. Just posting one snippet seldom helps.