Ava 2020 - Cant recognize disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Woodstock

Re: Ava 2020 - Cant recognize disc

Post by Woodstock »

Just a note, do NOT try flashing the X-U, because it will not gain anything, and may cause it to stop working completely. It is a good non-UHD drive, at least according to my tests and the experience of the person I gave it to.

Not recognizing that there is a disk in the drive is usually hardware, though - something about the disk causes the drive to not see a format it can read. Perhaps it's the issue identified above, i.e., the disk requires a more flexible focus mechanism.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lamb1133

Post by lamb1133 »

All,

I had the same issue with my external drive not recognizing the disc back in September. I have been checking on this thread hoping there would be some conclusion, but seems like if this happens you are SOL?
mmmzon

Post by mmmzon »

I did not see any resolution apart from "try a different drive". it worked in my case, since I had a spare USB slower and older drive. Newer internal one would not touch this disc even with a stick.
gfb107

Post by gfb107 »

I'm having the same problem reading the RedBox Ava (2020) Bly-ray disc. I've tried 2 different discs. My drive is an ASUS BR-04B2T that I've used for years with great succes, and can still read other Blu-Ray discs in my personal collection.
Seattlebk

Post by Seattlebk »

Redbox Ava disc appears to have a flaw in that the label itself is not centered. This is the second Redbox disc i have run into with this issue. The first time i found one, i loaded it in my 4k player and promptly had to take apart the player to get the disc out. The label not being centered causes the dics to spin unevenly and eventually dislodge from the tray, jamming in the drive. With this AVA disc i see the same issue and can here it spinning un-evenly in my LG WH14NS40 drive. I'm not taking the chance of putting the disc in my Panasonic player to test, but i wonder if anyone else noticed the off centered label issue. Could that be part of the reason my PC drive can't read the disc with MKV?

BK
KENSAI

Post by KENSAI »

What a strange situation this is! I rented Ava, ripped it, watched it once, then deleted the file as per normal. Then a few weeks later I purchased it from Redbox for a mere $3.99 (love that used disc pricing!) and like many here, couldn't rip it. I have a new Libredrive and an ancient Asus drive, and neither one would read the disc. I was about to return it when I realized I have the Recycle folder active on my Synology NAS so I was able to pull the MP4 from there, so now I have a rip and the disc.

I'm not generally conspiratorial, but Redbox must know many people do the "rent and rip" dance, so I wonder if they did this on purpose? Though it seems inconsistent if so. :?
mmmzon

Post by mmmzon »

I doubt that, since then they would do that to all discs.