Tenet requires Java install

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
adhawkins

Tenet requires Java install

Post by adhawkins »

Hi,

When ripping my BluRay copy of Tenet today, I saw for (I think) the first time a warning that it required a Java Runtime installed to be able to rip it. The rip proceeded and completed, but I'm a little concerned it may not be correct. A couple of questions:
  1. Will this rip be correct, or will I perhaps have chapters in the wrong order for some reason?
  2. If I do need a Java install, can someone provide me with steps to install a 'local' copy of Java just for MakeMKV to use? I don't particularly want to install a system-wide version.
Thanks

Andy
preserve

Re: Tenet requires Java install

Post by preserve »

If you wish to install Java, you only need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). You can download just the JRE for Java 8. For newer versions of Java, you can download the JDK, which includes the JRE. https://www.oracle.com/java/technologie ... loads.html

In this case as far as I remember, Tenet doesn't utilize Java in the protection of the disc (note the "Protection" info when you start MakeMKV but before you open the disc, Java is not listed there), and no FUTs are required. (Read more about Java-based protection here.)

In this case, the BD+ code seems only to be involved in obtaining the "Comment" data for each title, which provides the description of each title, seen in parentheses in the images below.

Movie Disc:

Special Features Disc:
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
adhawkins

Post by adhawkins »

Hi,

Thanks for the useful info regarding installing Java.
preserve wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 am
In this case, the BD+ code seems only to be involved in obtaining the "Comment" data for each title
If that's all it's used for, then I think I'll leave it for now. Happy that at least the rip I've made will be watchable.

Thanks again

Andy
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Tenet is a Warner Bros title, correct? WB has not adopted anything that LionsGate or Sony has, so they are a company I respect. I buy anything I plan on keeping, but I still have an opinion to give about companies!