The Flash & Arrow Blu-Ray video distortion

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
fn2co

The Flash & Arrow Blu-Ray video distortion

Post by fn2co »

Hi.

When trying to rip The Flash & Arrow Blu-Ray box sets I am getting video distortion. Device Information below:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: SIK9KG5P8464
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: THE_FLASH_S1_D1
Timestamp: 2015-08-07 14:03:26
Data capacity: 38.80 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

All of the discs rip successfully, but every now and again a few frames like this appear:

I have been using MakeMKV for years and not seen anything like this before. The only difference is I usually use Ubuntu, but this is W10. Although I have not had a problem on this rig before and have done plenty of rips.

I have tried multiple drives and they all do it. Oddly when I watch the disk directly on a blu-ray TV player they seem okay. Just cannot get a clean rip.

Any ideas? Sorry, I've searched but cannot see anything similar.

Thanks

fn2
Billycar11

Re: The Flash & Arrow Blu-Ray video distortion

Post by Billycar11 »

whats your pc specs?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
fn2co

Post by fn2co »

Hi.

Thanks for getting back to me. PC specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Memory Address 0xF2100000-0xF22FFFFF Marvell SE14xx 12G SAS/SATA Controller

I tried running a disc backup, instead of ripping the individual titles. This has the same glitches in different places.

In the above there was a glitch at 3:54 on the title rip, but not the backup. But the backup had glitches at other points that were not in the title rip.

Very odd.

I'm trying now on my MBP to see how that does. Will update.

Thanks

Rob
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The only thing even sorta similar to what you describe that I've come across is in this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=24219

The end result was a somehow corrupted install of MakeMKV. A delete and reinstall of MakeMKV cleared up the problems that person was seeing.

I'm not sure if that's a direct comparison since I think you stated that you have made successful rips with this specific MakeMKV install before.
fn2co

Post by fn2co »

Hi.

Thanks for coming back to me, and having a look at this. I ripped the tracks on my MBP and then viewed the output, and everything looked fine. I moved them over to my two windows PCs the i7 I gave the specs of earlier, and a i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s) with 64 GB and RTX3090 and the weird glitches were there again.

I then wondered about the player software. On Windows I had only tried the "Movies & TV" app, and "Windows Media Player" both applications on both Windows PCs showed the strange glitches. I tried MPV & VLC and for the same files the glitches cannot be seen during run-time at the same time segments.

You can see the glitches if you drag the slider in VLC to exactly the same point that "Movies & TV" shows them during play back, MPV doesn't show them at all when you seek, but I think MPV jumps more frames when seeking.

I then added them to my Plex library on the same i7 and watched them back on a Nvidia Shield plex client connected to a TV and no glitches at all.

Not sure if it's actually a MakeMKV issue at all now. My current thoughts are:

* Does the file being extracted by MakeMKV have some sort of flaw in it?
* Does MPV and VLC ignore the error frames and essentially show a seamless playback, whilst the two MS Windows apps are not able to filter out the bad frames?
* Is it just a simple bug in the way MTV and WMP handle playing MKV files (not sure on this one as you can *see* the glitch in VLC as well but you have to search for it)?
* Is it a flaw in the underlying BD disk media (again unlikely as it impacts multiple disks from two different box sets)?
* Is there a bug in MakeMKV, (sorry I know unlikely but have to ask :-) ), I normally only rip on Ubuntu or MacOS so would not have seen this before.

As plex is where they will end up, and I was only looking at them on the PC to check the production code to get the correct season and episode number it's not an issue for me. I hadn't thought it could relate to the player software.

Thanks again for your help and searching! As said, I have a workaround, so please don't spend any more time on this.

Thanks

fn2
preserve

Post by preserve »

fn2co wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:01 pm
I tried MPV & VLC and for the same files the glitches cannot be seen during run-time at the same time segments.
Yup.

Also for reference: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23753
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00