Multiple ‘NOT READY’ errors

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mkvletsgo

Multiple ‘NOT READY’ errors

Post by mkvletsgo »

Since I’ve started ripping this new tv series which is on bluray, I’ve occasionally been getting the error
Error ‘Scsi error - NOT READY:LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY’ occurred while reading ‘Path/To/File.m2ts’ at offset ‘12345…’
The discs are new, and I’m aware that sometimes even new, pristine discs can have issues or need to be cleaned, but I’m also using another PC with the same player, just OEM firmware, and I haven’t had one error on that PC ripping the same series.

My problem drive is LG BP50NB40-NB50 with the LibreDrive firmware v1.00 Drive Platform MT1959

Until this series it’s worked fine, and I believe this is the first time I’ve seen this error. What exactly does it mean?

I also sometimes get hash check errors in which case the disc fails to open, but if I reinsert the disc the errors
go away.

Sometimes the rip fails after multiple ‘NOT READY’ errors and the player sometimes disconnects itself and reconnects midway through the rip. I’ve observed this outside MakeMKV as well. This does not always happen though. Already tried a couple different wires, didn’t fix the issue.

This leads me to believe that the player is on its way out. I’m going to try it with another PC just to rule out bad USB ports/drivers/anything else. But besides these issues I have one other question.

If I get a ‘NOT READY’ error or two during the rip, but it finishes successfully with all files saved, should I be concerned about file corruption?
dcoke22

Re: Multiple ‘NOT READY’ errors

Post by dcoke22 »

USB powered drives like that sometimes suffer due to lack of power from the USB ports their connected to. MakeMKV can ask the drive to read so quickly that the drive will use more power than is available to it.

Make sure both USB plugs are plugged into well powered ports or use a powered USB hub.