No sound - at least the english track

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
SCTexan

No sound - at least the english track

Post by SCTexan »

I have a Blu-ray that I'm attempting to digitize to watch on my tablet as I travel. Years ago, I converted my DVD/Blu-ray collection and didn't have any issues, not the file I want to watch is corrupted so I'm converting it again. The movies plays perfectly, of course, in a Blu-ray player. MakeMKV converts the movie perfectly, and the French and Spanish tracks are fine, but the English doesn't (even the lion roar in the beginning isn't there). I tried removing the conversion of all but the English in the preference section and the file details, and still nothing. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Woodstock

Re: No sound - at least the english track

Post by Woodstock »

What did MakeMKV report for the layout of the English track? Some disks offer more advanced settings for English than other languages. I have many disks with 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 English tracks, but only stereo in Japanese. If your player refuses to read the more advanced track, it can be a problem.

MakeMKV's default settings are to rip the most advanced track when multiple tracks are available, so that can be an issue, too.

When you open the disk, click on the triangle next to the video, and see which (raw) tracks are selected by default.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SCTexan

Post by SCTexan »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:39 pm
What did MakeMKV report for the layout of the English track? Some disks offer more advanced settings for English than other languages. I have many disks with 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 English tracks, but only stereo in Japanese. If your player refuses to read the more advanced track, it can be a problem.

MakeMKV's default settings are to rip the most advanced track when multiple tracks are available, so that can be an issue, too.

When you open the disk, click on the triangle next to the video, and see which (raw) tracks are selected by default.
I open the file detail and "deselected" , everything but 1 of the English tracks and all I got was silence.... is that what you are referring to?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Probably. Was there more than one English track?

I ask because I've had movies where the "selected track" was the most complex available... and not the correct track. Example was a movie with commentary, where the actual audio was 2 channel stereo, and the commentary track was in 5.1 Dolby. Fortunately, I had selected everything to be ripped, so I could sort it out later.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

My guess is that it's a codec problem, as in, your media player doesn't recognize the codec used in the audio file.

Could you give us more detail about the audio track you're trying to use, either from MakeMKV itself or from MediaInfo, and what you're trying to play it with?

You may need to convert the audio back to something like AC3 and re-mux it back into the .mkv file.
SCTexan

Post by SCTexan »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:14 am
Probably. Was there more than one English track?

I ask because I've had movies where the "selected track" was the most complex available... and not the correct track. Example was a movie with commentary, where the actual audio was 2 channel stereo, and the commentary track was in 5.1 Dolby. Fortunately, I had selected everything to be ripped, so I could sort it out later.
I'll look at some of the other video tracks, like the outtakes and commentary, they record fine. Then I'll select the sound file that is the same.

(later)

Okay, when I look at the file details, I notice that the sound tracks that play, are labeled: DD Stereo English. The main movie's English track is labeled DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 English and DTS Surround 5.1 English. Update: tried just using each type individually - no luck.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Again, could you give us some idea of what player you're using when attempting to play the file?

I'm guessing it's not VLC Media Player as that should play DTS tracks natively.

If using Windoze you may be able to install the K-Lite Codec Pack, which may solve the issue, depending on the player being used.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you have the option to convert the audio to AC3 (or whatever your preferred flavor) and mux it back into the .mkv file.

EDIT: I'd suggest you fix the actual problem, being your player's ability to play DTS tracks, rather than convert the audio. Else you will likely have the same problem in the future, seeing as DTS is probably the second-most common type of audio track on optical media these days!
SCTexan

Post by SCTexan »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:06 am
Again, could you give us some idea of what player you're using when attempting to play the file?

If using Windoze you may be able to install the K-Lite Codec Pack, which may solve the issue, depending on the player being used.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, you have the option to convert the audio to AC3 (or whatever your preferred flavor) and mux it back into the .mkv file.

EDIT: I'd suggest you fix the actual problem, being your player's ability to play DTS tracks, rather than convert the audio. Else you will likely have the same problem in the future, seeing as DTS is probably the second-most common type of audio track on optical media these days!
Windows player on my PC, I'll try VLC.
SCTexan

Post by SCTexan »

SCTexan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:30 am
Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:06 am

Windows player on my PC, I'll try VLC.
Thanks, it was the player. VLC works perfectly... I'm thinking that if I'd just taken the file and run it through my Wondershare, it would have converted it to an MP4 and it would have worked with the Windows player.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SCTexan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:11 am

Thanks, it was the player. VLC works perfectly
funny enough just to put it out there i reported this bug to Microsoft and they always marked it as solved and linked to something that was completely unrelated.
but yeah in the windows player swapping from dts or dolby back and forth breaks things and some times it picks up the wrong track first so you have to swap and well then you know what happens.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com