Bluray Rip - no audo tracks

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mrbookay

Bluray Rip - no audo tracks

Post by mrbookay »

As a background I have been ripping disks for years, both DVD and BluRay generally without issue.

However, I have just got a bunch of BluRays and whilst they rip ok for video, none of the rips contain audio tracks.

I have tried changing the profile but still no audio.

I have tried playing the BluRay on the device I am trying to rip with and it plays just fine, with the audio.

So I am baffled - any advice please?

TIA
Woodstock

Re: Bluray Rip - no audo tracks

Post by Woodstock »

You've made sure that MakeMKV says it's pulling the audio, correct? (click on the triangle next to one of the entries in the left-hand menu to see what tracks are being pulled)

Sometimes, there won't be recognizable audio tracks, but usually there are. Some players might not like the tracks, however.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I find the app MediaInfo to be handy. It can tell lots of details about .mkv files including how many audio tracks are in a file and what format they're in.

I think by default Windows Media Player will not play DTS audio. It is possible that the disc in question has only DTS audio tracks. So, the rip might have audio tracks but your player might not be able to play it.

VLC is a player that can play DTS audio by default.
mrbookay

Post by mrbookay »

It's not an issue with the media. Tried now on a third device and it has worked ok, I have not done anything different (plus I'm using the same external drive and the software is the same version, 17.4).

Not sure OS is a factor or not.
Servant

Post by Servant »

Thanks to dcoke22 for solving a long-standing mystery for why I could get no audio when playing some MKV files using Windows Media Player. Didn't know that WMP didn't support DTS, and I assumed all language tracks on a given Blu-Ray disc were encoded the same. I have one, for example, that has the English track encoded in DTS and foreign tracks in Dolby, so I could play the latter but not the former!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Servant wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:49 am
Thanks to dcoke22 for solving a long-standing mystery for why I could get no audio when playing some MKV files using Windows Media Player. Didn't know that WMP didn't support DTS, and I assumed all language tracks on a given Blu-Ray disc were encoded the same. I have one, for example, that has the English track encoded in DTS and foreign tracks in Dolby, so I could play the latter but not the former!
You could try the k-lite mega codec pack which also includes MPC-HC, much better than WMP.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com