unable to decrypt iso files

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
meket

unable to decrypt iso files

Post by meket »

Hi, first post in this forum.

I have a few BD for which makemkv reports errors while copying. Trying to circumvent the drive I create a copy with dvdisaster.

Usually dvdisaster then perfectly copies the disc first try, or has several read errors. When errors occur i try again or put the disc in another drive and try to complete the image that way.

Now, when I have created an image of a disc perfectly from the first try, vlc and makemkv can not decrypt it. But playing the disc from the drive i copied it with works, and makemkv can start to copy too, but fails to complete.

I'd like some guidance on how I can decide wether the disc, one of my drives or something with the key is at fault.

I do not want to keep full uncompressed ISOs, but use handbrake on the files afterward to compress them, and get rid of almost all extras.

So far, in my home folder in the .makeMKV folder there are 36 *.tgz files, idk if they are exclusively from trying to open ISOs, or from discs i was unable to open from a drive directly.
dcoke22

Re: unable to decrypt iso files

Post by dcoke22 »

I've never used dvdisaster, but it doesn't look like it deals with the bus encryption inherent to blu-rays and UHDs.
meket

Post by meket »

Hm, but I do remember previously copying a BD to iso with dvdisaster and then taking out video files with makemkv. And vlc can play the iso files, so the copy is certainly complete and or playabe.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:05 pm
I've never used dvdisaster, but it doesn't look like it deals with the bus encryption inherent to blu-rays and UHDs.
To bypass this problem, place your BD into the drive, start MakeMKV and open the BluRay (so you see the titles and such). At this moment, LibreDrive is uploaded into the RAM of the drive (I think until you open the drive again). So you also can close MakeMKV again.

Now a copy with dvddisaster should not create ISOs which are unreadable (again, as long as dvddisaster does not open and close the tray when finding an error)
meket

Post by meket »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm
To bypass this problem, place your BD into the drive, start MakeMKV and open the BluRay (so you see the titles and such). At this moment, LibreDrive is uploaded into the RAM of the drive (I think until you open the drive again). So you also can close MakeMKV again.

Now a copy with dvddisaster should not create ISOs which are unreadable (again, as long as dvddisaster does not open and close the tray when finding an error)
Hm, interesting, that is something I did use, because sometimes dvdisaster threw an error of unreadable scrambled sector at me, even for dvds.

But, now I tried to copy batman begins, and makemkv just doesn't want to open the ISO, saved some info in "MKB_v7_BATMAN_BEGINS_E76C.tgz". Same for Everything Everywhere All at Once, "MKB_v77_Everything_Everywhere_All_at_Once_A336.tgz". And for Kong: Skull Island too "MKB_v63_KONG_SKULL_ISLAND_F4E6.tgz".

However, opening the ISO in VLC works just as if I were to open the disc in the drive. dvdisaster also copied the batman begins bluray perfectly, so there should not be any errors in the ISO left to circumvent. The BD disc of everything everywhere all at once however had some read issues, even though both discs seem perfect to my eyes, but I have read about mastering issues here, I can't know if that applies here.

I guess I'll keep the ISO and maybe try to use screen capture of VLC playback? Is that worth trying?