"Hidden" MPLS files?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
scorp508

"Hidden" MPLS files?

Post by scorp508 »

This seems to mostly happen with disc extras and I'm curious if I'm missing some obvious step.

I have Process Monitor scanning for mpls files being accessed on Blu-ray disc while VLC is running, so I can play something on the disc and catalog which track to grab. In VLC I'll start a disc extra and immediately see Procmon show something like 00365.mpls (not m2ts) is being accessed. Ok good, let's go grab 00365.mpls in MakeMKV.

I go to MakeMKV and there's no 00365.mpls but there is a 00365.m2ts. Even if I change the MakeMKV preferences to include any track over 1 second long, there is no 00365.mpls. Not even a log entry saying 00365 was detected as a duplicate of some other entry and was skipped.

Is there some sort of logic behind the scenes of Blu-rays that when asked to play a mpls it will look for a m2ts of the same name if no mpls file exists?
Ezatoka

Re: "Hidden" MPLS files?

Post by Ezatoka »

MPLS are playlist files, so there is mostly written inside any order of m2ts files which should be played.

Try opening the index.bmdv file with MkvToolnix and there select the 00365.mpls.

Eventually it is just a single frame video or alike, and MakeMKV skips those, but that's just an assumption.
scorp508

Re: "Hidden" MPLS files?

Post by scorp508 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:04 pm
Eventually it is just a single frame video or alike, and MakeMKV skips those, but that's just an assumption.
Thank you, MakeMKV skipping playlists with a single entry would certainly make sense. I'll pop open the index later and try to confirm. :)