Opening .bdmv files - how

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Timberflake1983

Opening .bdmv files - how

Post by Timberflake1983 »

Is there any way to open a .bdmv file to load into MakeMKV and rip a film? When I try to open index.bdmv or movieobject.bdmv MakeMKV does absolutely nothing. I've tried opening the files in the main move folder and the "backup" folder but the result it the same, MakeMKV does not even register that I've tried to open a file.
Ezatoka

Re: Opening .bdmv files - how

Post by Ezatoka »

Is your movie decrypted? Does MakeMKV show anything in the log? Are there all other directories beneath the one, where the index.bdmv is located? (like Auxdata, Backup, BDJO, Clipinf, Jar, Meta, Playlist, Stream)
Timberflake1983

How do I know if the movie is decrypted?

The log shows nothing. The film I'm trying to load has an index.bdmv and movieobject.bsmv in the main folder of the film and then several other folders; BACKUP, CLIPINF, META, PLAYLIST AND STREAM
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

You can try to play one of the M2TS files from the stream directory. If you have a clear picture, it probably is decrypted. Looking for bigger files would be better to actually find a video clip and not a still picture.
Timberflake1983

So I can play the M2TS files which I guess means it's decrypted and I don't need to run it through MakeMKV at all?? I film I'm trying is Godzilla (2014) and I can see an M2TS file which is 33GB which I assume would be the full untouched film which I can then load into Handbrake?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Timberflake1983 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:17 pm
So I can play the M2TS files which I guess means it's decrypted and I don't need to run it through MakeMKV at all?? I film I'm trying is Godzilla (2014) and I can see an M2TS file which is 33GB which I assume would be the full untouched film which I can then load into Handbrake?
Yes and no. M2TS files to not have information about the audio languages (I think) and neither do they have chapter markers, because those are within the m2pl playlist files.

What happens, if you open the index.bdmv file with handbrake? does the "disc" work there?
Timberflake1983

If I try with Handbrake it says "no valid source found" even though it lets me click on the index.bdmv file (it's not greyed out).
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Something seems to be wrong with your BluRay structure there, but if no log is written, then it is difficult to pinpoint.

Is VLC able to play the disc?

Btw have you enabled "Log debug messages" in MakeMKV options? it's at the General tab.

If yes, then it should create a log file in your %userprofile% directory.
Timberflake1983

I can open the M2TS file with VLC if that's what you mean?

I have log debug messages enabled but when I try to open the .bdmv file it doesn't register that anythings been done, there's nothing in the log.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

I mean to open the index.bdmv file with VLC.

Or: in VLC press CTRL+D, to go Disc -> BluRay -> Disc Device -> Browse and there select the directory
Timberflake1983

I'm on a Mac. I was able to click on the index.bdmv file but again it doesn't do anything.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Hmm not sure if it can be a Mac thing, knowing their security settings can be quite difficult.

Do you have a way of putting the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directory into a ISO and try opening the ISO?

The BDMV directory would be the one the index.bdmv file is inside. I'm not sure if the CERTIFICATE is still needed after decrypting, but might be better to include it.