Rush - Moving Pictures

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike admin

Re: Rush - Moving Pictures

Post by mike admin »

unfrostedpoptart wrote:Actually, I found a better way for audio-only files. I used makemkv to make an unencrypted backup of the disk. Then I used DVD Audio Extractor to pull out the audio. Works great.
I would still appreciate a testdump so MakeMKV can be fixed. It will take 5 minutes to make a testdump from a disc backup - /onlinehelp/testdump.html . Thank you.
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

I too have been using DVD Audio Extractor to rip music tracks from (nonBD) DVDs as compressed FLAC and would like to have same capability for BDs, particularly music videos such as the latest Joe Bonamassa concert videos.

I see the screen shots posted in this thread by "unfrostedpoptart" with check boxes for audio. BTW, always liked unfrosted better myself! :-D

Not being up to speed here, can someone be a bit more explicit on what steps are required starting with MakeMKV decryption and then what has to be done in DVDAE, i.e., once MakeMKV has decrypted the BD, will opening DVDAE and accessing the external Samsung BD drive allow the audio content to then be ripped?

Thanks in advance.
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

WhiteG37 wrote:I too have been using DVD Audio Extractor to rip music tracks from (nonBD) DVDs as compressed FLAC and would like to have same capability for BDs, particularly music videos such as the latest Joe Bonamassa concert videos.

I see the screen shots posted in this thread by "unfrostedpoptart" with check boxes for audio. BTW, always liked unfrosted better myself! :-D

Not being up to speed here, can someone be a bit more explicit on what steps are required starting with MakeMKV decryption and then what has to be done in DVDAE, i.e., once MakeMKV has decrypted the BD, will opening DVDAE and accessing the external Samsung BD drive allow the audio content to then be ripped?

Thanks in advance.
Also, since the CyberLink Media Suite opens to autoplay when BD is put into the BD drive, do you just close this app before starting MakeMKV?
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

WhiteG37 wrote:
WhiteG37 wrote:I too have been using DVD Audio Extractor to rip music tracks from (nonBD) DVDs as compressed FLAC and would like to have same capability for BDs, particularly music videos such as the latest Joe Bonamassa concert videos.

Thanks in advance.
Also, since the CyberLink Media Suite opens to autoplay when BD is put into the BD drive, do you just close this app before starting MakeMKV?
I know this was an old thread but hopefully some of the posters are still watching. It would be great if someone could share their expertise on the subject of using MakeMKV with DVD Audio Extractor.

Probably should have just created a new topic. Is there some way to capture my three post to a new one?
The Masked Onion

Post by The Masked Onion »

How i have done this in the past it to rip the Bluray with FLAC audio and then drag and drop the .MKV file in to Foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/). Select all the chapters and right click, select convert and click the ... at the bottom. In the right hand pane select the output format (FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc), set the destination, Set the processing (e.g. if you want to go from 5.1 to 2 channel due to the destination codec limitations (MP3 can only do 1 or 2 channels)). Once you have all this setup click on save so you can use the same preset next time.

You'll get the hang of it after a few test runs.

If you want to convert from MKVs with DTS or AC3 audio you'll need to look in the components section on the foobar2000 site and install the plugins.

If Foobar2000 asks for the Location of FLAC.exe or LAME.exe.

FLAC
http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php#flac-bundle
(FLAC v.1.3.0 win32 bundle)
Unzip and copy FLAC.exe in to the foobar2000 installation folder (where foobar2000.exe is).

MP3
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundl ... me-current
(LAME 3.99.5)
Unzip and copy LAME.exe in to the foobar2000 installation folder (where foobar2000.exe is).

Let me know if I can help any further
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

Thanks for the how-to using MakeMKV and Foobar, Masked.

However, I am using DVD Audio Extractor which will take the audio off of BDs...once they have been decrypted. Really not keen on adding another app like Foobar since I am already using JRiver Media Center as my server software.

I tried the procedure used by "unfrostedpoptart" in an earlier post, i.e., make a decrypted copy using MakeMKV and then extract the audio using DVDAE.

I did this with 2 commercial BDs and while DVDAE did find the audio tracks on both of the decrypted disc files, it does not show the metadata...or at least when I do it (which may mean I am missing something in the process). IF it is only an Audio BD like one of my cases, entering the track info, etc., is pretty straightforward but obviously time consuming. In the case of the Concert BD, it does not look as straightforward since there may be "extras", etc., on the BD which are hard to match up with the extracted audio content. DVDAE found 24 tracks in one chapter which I am assuming is the main concert but also 2 other fairly long tracks which may be the audio portion of the extras.

Is there some way to get/preserve the metadata for the audio content of an extraction?
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

OK, now that I have successfully decrypted my BD music video disc and made a backup copy, I have a folder with 3 files...BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMV. The total size of the folder is 32GB.

Would like to burn a playable BD and read that Verbatim LTH is one of best choices.

However, these BDs have a capacity of 25GB.

How do I fit 32GB into a 25GB bag?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

BD Rebuilder should do.
WhiteG37

Post by WhiteG37 »

ndjamena wrote:BD Rebuilder should do.
I was under the impression that MakeMKV could burn copies of decrypted BDs. Is that not the case?

Where do I learn what the "BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMV" folders are and contain?

As with any subject, I assume that there is a lot of tribal knowledge. Just need to get some of it documented for us luddites.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

MakeMKV makes MKVs... it has no burning abilities, nor compression so it will be of no use in fitting a 30GB file onto a 25GB disc. It has the ability to Back-Up Blu rays on HDDs but that's mostly just an afterthought. It can convert audio to FLAC and AAC, which can't be played on a Blu-ray, and AC3, which is an aging codec included mainly for backward compatibility. That's about it. MakeMKV's main function is to take titles from Blu Rays and DVDs and put them into MKVs.

Since DVDFab is out of the picture BDRebuilder is the only program I know of that will compress a blu ray to fit onto a smaller disc. Maybe DVDFab can still do that on unencrypted discs. I'm not sure and don't really care.

I know nothing about the folders, and don't really get why people want to keep the blu ray structures or make new blu ray discs, so I'm of no use there.