Source Code BR

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
DJRumpy

Re: Source Code BR

Post by DJRumpy »

Thanks. It would be great if they would add this check to MakeMKV itself. Not sure if it does a full scan of the streams themselves or just the playlists though.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm not sure how MakeMKV would be able to figure it out. This is a java protection so what happens is that they go through all this java code when you play the movie in a "supported player." The menu knows which MPLS is the correct one by virtue of the routines the java code executes. The only way to figure out the right MPLS would be to parse through all that and be able to read through the menu. So, I'm not sure what MakeMKV could do to determine the right MPLS in that case...
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

Hm. I take it they can't query the length from the m2ts files without scanning the entire file?

Ah well. I'll make do with popping it into the player if need be.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Scanning the m2ts files doesn't help you. This foolish protection is always found on seamless branching titles. That's how they inject fake scenes into the false MPLS. So you get something like this:

Fake MPLS:
0001.m2ts, 0082.m2ts, 0082.m2ts, 0082.m2ts, 0082.m2ts, 0002.m2ts, etc

Real MPLS:
0001.m2ts, 0082.m2ts, 0002.m2ts, etc.

I'm VASTLY oversimplifying this, but, you get the idea. Basically they are injecting m2ts files into the fake MPLS, but, it's not always the same one repeated X times. It makes it really difficult to detect which is the correct one. But the length of the m2ts files don't really tell you anything. You could ATTEMPT to do a check for the same m2ts file in the MPLS and mark that as "probably" fake, but, you really don't know for sure. Stupid protection.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

Thanks for the prompt response, and the explanation. I agree. Irritating. I've only had a few titles like this one that gave me any issues. I did get a good rip from this thread though so I'm good.

Thanks again!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Starting from 1.6.13 MakeMKV shows additional item on the right pane called "segment map". For blu-ray, each item is the name of m2ts file. This doesn't help much for this particular disc, but at least gives some clue about what M2TS files are joined into the title.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks, Mike. I guess one way you could use that is to see if there are duplicated m2ts files in a particular playlist. That MIGHT help identify fake playlists.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

My thoughts exactly. Not a sure thing, but every little clue helps ;)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Source file name: 00876.mpls
Duration: 1:33:12
Chapters count: 17
Segment count: 7
Segment map: 147,3,141,137,1,142,4

That's the good one for Source Code.

Source file name: 00840.mpls
Duration: 1:33:07
Chapters count: 18
Segment count: 8
Segment map: 147,3,141,2,144,143,142,4

Source file name: 00092.mpls
Duration: 1:31:49
Chapters count: 18
Segment count: 9
Segment map: 147,145,141,2,137,144,143,142,4

There's a couple fake ones. So, yea, that's not going to be as useful as I thought for this particular disc. UGH.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

For high profile discs, some people will likely try them and post the playlist numbers online (IIRC, that's how people first found the correct playlist for Source Code).

And software which can parse Blu-ray menus should be able to discard/hide playlists which aren't accessible via the menu (though being able to parse BD menus is most likely non-trivial).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

There is currently no software I'm aware of other than commercial players that can parse blu-ray java menus. And this foolish protection is java based. Truly a pain.
jhughy2010

Post by jhughy2010 »

876 seemed like it was the correct playlist, however, at the end of the movie I realized there was a scene that kept repeating itself... you know; the soda can, coffee spill, ticket punch? So now I don't even know if it is right... In fact, I don't even know what's real!!!
MagnumXL

Post by MagnumXL »

This is horrible. I dumped the Atmos soundtrack from the 4K disc only to discover a scene changed interrupted the movie and not only made no sense (out of order), but screwed the Atmos soundtrack timing up as well. This is pure unadulterated utter God damned *EVIL*.

I'm thinking just watch the damn movie off the disc. It isn't worth the farking headache. It's a PITA as it is to dump/move Atmos from 4K to 2K because they think 5.1 is good enough for 2K discs, but this garbage.... Do they pay people just to sit there and think of stupid ways to irritate people? I bought the damn disc. This does NOTHING to stop pirates. It just punishes those of us that want to watch movies around the house off a server....
bsinger

Post by bsinger »

743 according to another forum, with confirm by a few users (but not me)