Sentai Filmworks Discs No longer Opening

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BlueManGroup

Sentai Filmworks Discs No longer Opening

Post by BlueManGroup »

I've tried and failed to open Ef- A Tale of Melodies and DreamEater Merry from Sentai Filmworks, both Region A US releases. Running a registered version of MakeMKV 1.7.2 on Mac OS X 10.7.3. These titles are both pre-release, but final product. Just to be clear, it's not that it won't rip, it won't even open the disc to allow me to rip it, it just hangs when I hit the Open icon after a few seconds of decrypting.
Last edited by BlueManGroup on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celavey

Re: Sentai Filmworks Discs No longer Opening

Post by celavey »

Hi there. I didn't know that I am not the only one who have this type of problem. Were you able to fix it on your end?
BlueManGroup

Post by BlueManGroup »

celavey wrote:Hi there. I didn't know that I am not the only one who have this type of problem. Were you able to fix it on your end?

Nope. :(
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Would you happen to have the older Sentai BD title "Samurai Girls" from August 2011 to test? It works fine on MakeMKV 1.70 and later (just tested it on 1.72) for Windows.

It would be interesting to see if this is a difference between Windows and Mac, or if it is something new Sentai is doing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

BlueManGroup wrote:I've tried and failed to open Ef- A Tale of Melodies and DreamEater Merry from Sentai Filmworks, both Region A US releases. Running a registered version of MakeMKV 1.7.2 on Mac OS X 10.7.3. These titles are both pre-release, but final product. Just to be clear, it's not that it won't rip, it won't even open the disc to allow me to rip it, it just hangs when I hit the Open icon after a few seconds of decrypting.
Are you opening a disc? Do you use "Open disc" command (the big button, or from menu) or "Open file"?
BlueManGroup

Post by BlueManGroup »

mike admin wrote:
BlueManGroup wrote:I've tried and failed to open Ef- A Tale of Melodies and DreamEater Merry from Sentai Filmworks, both Region A US releases. Running a registered version of MakeMKV 1.7.2 on Mac OS X 10.7.3. These titles are both pre-release, but final product. Just to be clear, it's not that it won't rip, it won't even open the disc to allow me to rip it, it just hangs when I hit the Open icon after a few seconds of decrypting.
Are you opening a disc? Do you use "Open disc" command (the big button, or from menu) or "Open file"?
"Open Disc" from the button, not "Open File" from the menu. It just hangs while trying to decrypt.
bonkabonka

Post by bonkabonka »

For what it's worth, I let it churn away on ef - a tale of melodies for about an hour after which it reported that it couldn't handle a newer version of AACS. I submitted the code from disk 1 and am waiting for MakeMKV to give up on disk 2 so I can report that one also.
BlueManGroup

Post by BlueManGroup »

bonkabonka wrote:For what it's worth, I let it churn away on ef - a tale of melodies for about an hour after which it reported that it couldn't handle a newer version of AACS. I submitted the code from disk 1 and am waiting for MakeMKV to give up on disk 2 so I can report that one also.
That's odd, because I'd left mine going for about an hour and a half and absolutely nothing occurred.I had to force quit out of the program to get it to stop.
bonkabonka

Post by bonkabonka »

That's odd, because I'd left mine going for about an hour and a half and absolutely nothing occurred.I had to force quit out of the program to get it to stop.
I happen to be using Linux and while the program didn't seem to be doing anything, the timers did continue to tick up. Disk 2 took about 50 minutes before MakeMKV gave up and bailed.
BlueManGroup

Post by BlueManGroup »

bonkabonka wrote:
I happen to be using Linux and while the program didn't seem to be doing anything, the timers did continue to tick up. Disk 2 took about 50 minutes before MakeMKV gave up and bailed.
Well, yeah, the elapsed time kept increasing, but nothing else happened. That was after an hour and a half.
BlueManGroup

Post by BlueManGroup »

I Just received Infinite Stratos: The Complete Collection. It's a pre-release, street date April 10. It has the same issue as the previous Sentai Filmworks discs.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

makemkv 1.7.2 can decrypt these Sentai Filmworks release just fine:

Samurai Girls (2011-08-23) has AACS v24
Ef a Tale of Memories (2012-01-31) has AACS v28
Broken Blade (2012-02-21) has AACS v28

But it fails with these:

Ef a Tale of Melodies (2012-03-20) has AACS v31
Dream Eater Merry (2012-03-27) has AACS v31
Infinite Stratos (2012-04-10) has AACS v31

The changelog for makemkv 1.7.2 says that it added support for AACS v30, so I would assume that the problem is that it doesn't support AACS v31 yet, and Sentai Filmworks upgraded to it with their most recent releases.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

For each disc, make an ENCRYPTED full disc backup with MakeMKV. From the backup send two files - MKB_RO.inf and discatt.dat to support@makemkv.com . In return you'll get instructions how to open this disc with current version of MakeMKV.