AACS v31

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike admin

AACS v31

Post by mike admin »

The latest version of MakeMKV 1.7.3 can't handle very recent discs that use AACS v31. Until the next version is released, you need to do few additional steps in order to open these discs with any version of MakeMKV.

1. Confirm that your disc uses AACS v31 - it should be shown in "Protection" string on main screen.
2. Download attached text file and place it into "MakeMKV data directory". You can view or change it in MakeMKV preferences, on "General" tab.
3. Try opening the disc again. It will take about 10 minutes to open the disc, but the disc should open.

If disc still doesn't open then it means that disc key is not present in attached text file. Please do the following:
1. Make an encrypted full disc backup with MakeMKV
2. From this backup copy two files - MKB_RO.inf and discatt.dat and compress these files with any archiver.
3. Send produced archive file with disc name to support@makemkv.com
Attachments
aacsv31-keys.txt
(507 Bytes) Downloaded 2744 times
Mnemos

Re: AACS v31

Post by Mnemos »

Okay then. So, if the MakeMKV data directory were "/home/username/.MakeMKV", then aacsv31-keys.txt is supposed to be put in there such that it's "/home/username/.MakeMKV/aacsv31-keys.txt", correct? And then without doing anything else whatsoever, makemkv should be able to decrypt any of the discs listed in that file, correct? Or have I misunderstood something?

I followed those steps exactly, and makemkv hasn't been able to decrypt any of the discs listed in the file (and I tried all 6). In all cases, it says that "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted."

So, either I'm doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with makemkv and/or with the file that you've provided.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If you start MakeMKV, insert one of these discs, is there a line named "bus encryption flags" on the right pane, under disc information?
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

If you start MakeMKV, insert one of these discs, is there a line named "bus encryption flags" on the right pane, under disc information?
No. The only fields that show up under disc information are

Data capacity
Disc type
Number of layers
Channel bit length

It's the same for all of the discs in the file.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Sigh, this is a confirmed bug in 1.7.x series and probably few versions before. There is a workaround however - the text file must be present in both MakeMKV data directory AND current working directory. On Linux the easiest way is to copy the file into home directory, launch terminal, cd ~ , and then start makemkv from command line.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

Okay. I can confirm that if I symlink aacsv31-keys.txt into the current working directory before starting makemkv from the command line, makemkv is able to open all 6 of the discs in the file.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

AACS v31 is supported by 1.7.4 without the need of any text files.