Read or Die Blu-ray fails to rip - tons of DBG_ASSERTs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mnemos

Read or Die Blu-ray fails to rip - tons of DBG_ASSERTs

Post by Mnemos »

I tried ripping the first Blu-ray disc of Read or Die, and it fails miserably. It's insanely slow, never completes, and spits out tons of DBG_ASSERT messages. Eventually, it seems to eat up 100% CPU and freeze. I have no idea if it ever finishes. Certainly it doesn't after several hours of trying.

In the beginning, this line is repeated over and over in the log:
001001:0020 DBG ASSERT: C.57u4=vnKq]RTYp Ivc)_(+:y3*4,@$wNcV; at %rgH\ohZ(zgO:OxFg\2C:213130835
Later, it gets a _ton_ of lines that look similar to this:
tp=ZeNr7/5+BbGBW2LzKPUBQloGB8QEDQ0sDq2Kzv+BEoAQjZwCQYGPkZGBp4DvMZF2j0QDkM85j4GMQiHOUYky6n3Lz3v//978yZK4yneWb8n/zhJxrN08sYAiYE86w7qWOetnrFQwMzAwME87286v1N2j2TWH9aNpkW3+Ja9+PFrfz2j4vf+5kYAIAGJUvkg==
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at }1VT94sP_j'NrqOpR%,s:29393953
tp=ZeNr7/x8EGMgGZoXNq9wDBGUZGBgfMDC0NLAqNvsLTgRKMHIGAAk2Rk4Glga+w0zWNRoNQD7jPAY+BoE4RynGpPspN+/9/3//K0PmKtNZvin/N0/IuXbzxAKGgDnhDOte6qiXvV7BwMDMwDDhbD+/Wn+DZt8U1o+mTbb1l7j2/WhxO6/t8/LnTgYmAA/MM44=
004004:0000 The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 966656, attempting to work around
The disc plays just fine in a player, but makemkv obviously can't handle it. I even tried ripping the disc with DVDFab and then using makemkv on that, and all that gains is speed (presumably due to reading from the HD rather than the Blu-ray). It fails in exactly the same way. So, clearly makemkv has an issue of some kind with the data on the disc, and given that I can play it just fine in a player, I have to suspect that it's makemkv with the issue rather than the disc - or at minimum, it's far pickier than the player.

I've attached the log. I was using the latest makemkv (1.7.4), and this was on Arch Linux, 64-bit.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Log of attempt to read Read or Die OVA Blu-ray disc.
(677.28 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Mnemos

Re: Read or Die Blu-ray fails to rip - tons of DBG_ASSERTs

Post by Mnemos »

I just tried the second disc in the set, and it exhibits the same behavior, so clearly there's something about how these discs were authored which makemkv doesn't like.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I'd guess it could be something with how Aniplex is doing with their bluray encodes since I'm seeing something really similar with Madoka bluray part 2 (although part 1 was fine, haven't got part 3 yet). Although I'm also on linux x64, so that could be another common factor too. I already submitted a test dump instead for that as my MakeMKV.log wound up being 700MB if I left it going (before it failed the rip).
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

The Japanese Blu-ray release of Tenchi Muyo! seems to have the same problem (though the error messages aren't quite the same), and I could have sworn that I used makemkv to rip it previously, so I think that something broke at some point rather than this never working. Unfortunately, my attempt at using older versions hasn't worked out very well (e.g. 1.6.8 makes me enter my registration key every time and insists on being restarted after registration), so I can't verify that.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

Ah, I can get 1.6.8 to work if I keep my current .MakeMKV directory around (I'd moved it on the theory that newer settings in it might screw up 1.6.8, but it seems to work if I leave it). And the Tenchi disc rips to mkv just fine with 1.6.8 in spite of failing miserably with 1.7.6 (though I have to rip the disc as a whole first, removing the decryption with either dvdfab or the newer makemkv, since 1.6.8 has issues with "ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' " errors). I'll have to test the ROD discs with 1.6.8 as well as other, older versions to see if I can determine which version broke things.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

Okay. I'm very confused now. I originally reported this with 1.7.4, and the log I provided does say 1.7.4, so it's not just that I wrote down the wrong version number. However, currently, if I use 1.7.4, it works with every disc that I've tried which had this problem, and it fails with 1.7.5, which implies that whatever the problem is was introduced with 1.7.5. But that doesn't jive with the original report, which was with 1.7.4. Maybe the 1.7.4 in the download/old section isn't exactly the same tar file that was up when 1.7.4 was the current version? I don't know how likely that is, but it would explain the discrepancy, and I don't know what else would. This is just too weird. Regardless, it's pretty clear that this used to work just a few versions ago, but doesn't now, and the breakage is likely in either 1.7.5 or 1.7.4.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

I have to ask you to do a lengthy step - please submit a test dump per http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/testdump.html for the title that fails.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is fixed in 1.7.7 - thank you for submitting the dump.