The Woman In Black - corrupt or invalid?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
rachel

The Woman In Black - corrupt or invalid?

Post by rachel »

Tried to use makemkv as normal to take a copy of The Woman in Black blu-ray. This initially failed with many many thousands of error messages of the form: "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset <n>, attempting to work around" for increasing values of <n> over time.

Eventually makemkv just ground to a halt and had to be killed.

I tried again, this time just trying to take a disk backup, and that seemed to work.

Then I tried pointing handbrake at that backup and encoding direct from that. And that too seemed to work, no errors reported.

So, because I wanted to save a *little* space, I tried running makemkv again, on the *backup* to produce a single raw MKV file for the movie itself. This failed in exactly the way described above, only faster as it was working off hard disk rather than optical media.

I haven't actually tried watching the movie yet, but scrubbing quickly and randomly through the handbrake transcode of it (deliberately too fast to get plot spoilers) the resulting file seems all there and functional. So it kind of looks like the backup is OK, and handbrake can read the movie stream out of it OK, but makemkv can't?

Wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this or if I've just got a bad 'un?
rachel

Re: The Woman In Black - corrupt or invalid?

Post by rachel »

i think i may have just answered my own question. Handbrake, of course, doesn't handle bluray PGS subtitles, so doesn't try to read those tracks. So running makemkv again and deselecting the subtitle tracks (and the commentary tracks for good measure, might have been them as I don't think I made handbrake take those either) and now it's coming out fine - so far at least; certainly way after the point it failed at before.

Some madness in the subtitle or commentary tracks I guess.
Woodstock

Re: The Woman In Black - corrupt or invalid?

Post by Woodstock »

rachel wrote:Handbrake, of course, doesn't handle bluray PGS subtitles, so doesn't try to read those tracks.
It does if you use the Nightly Builds...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging