H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Post Reply
perfectionist
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by perfectionist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 pm

Why does MakeMKV rip some of my blu-rays in H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and some in WMV?
Is there any way of ripping in H.264 MPEG-4/AVC only?

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by Romansh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:18 am

Because it doesn't re-encode anything. You get what's on the Blu-ray.

perfectionist
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by perfectionist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 am

Romansh wrote:Because it doesn't re-encode anything. You get what's on the Blu-ray.
So what you are saying is that some of my discs are in WMV format?

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by Romansh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:33 am

More specifically, VC-1; but yes, that's what I'm saying.

perfectionist
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by perfectionist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:44 am

Incredible, so that means the distributors here are compressing the originals and making us believe that we are getting them same quality as the rest of the world. I think I'll be ordering my discs from overseas from now on. To hell with the local agents.

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by Romansh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:43 pm

perfectionist wrote:Incredible, so that means the distributors here are compressing the originals
Well, of course they are compressing the originals. With uncompressed YUV 4:2:0 at 24 fps, you could fit about 11 minutes' worth of content on a disc, not counting menus and audio. So we get compressed video (Blu-ray spec allows for MPEG-2, H.264 or VC-1).
perfectionist wrote:and making us believe that we are getting them same quality as the rest of the world. I think I'll be ordering my discs from overseas from now on. To hell with the local agents.
And you'll be getting VC-1 encoded discs too. About 20% of all BD discs use VC-1 instead of H.264 (or MPEG-2, which is the one codec you should probably be avoiding):

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

robpdotcom
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by robpdotcom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Isn't there a lot more to quality than the type of codec? For example, how well it is transferred from film to digital, bit rate, etc. So, if done well, even an MPEG2 transfer could have higher picture quality than a not-so well done H.264. If disc space is not a major concern (such as with a short movie with very few extra features), then it might not really matter which codec is used, correct?

BlackDragon24
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by BlackDragon24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:18 pm

robpdotcom wrote:Isn't there a lot more to quality than the type of codec? For example, how well it is transferred from film to digital, bit rate, etc. So, if done well, even an MPEG2 transfer could have higher picture quality than a not-so well done H.264. If disc space is not a major concern (such as with a short movie with very few extra features), then it might not really matter which codec is used, correct?
Absolutely correct.

How good a movie looks on blu-ray depends on a lot more than just the codec that is used.

Romansh
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: H.264 MPEG-4/AVC and WMV

Post by Romansh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm

robpdotcom wrote:Isn't there a lot more to quality than the type of codec? For example, how well it is transferred from film to digital, bit rate, etc. So, if done well, even an MPEG2 transfer could have higher picture quality than a not-so well done H.264.
Indeed.

FWIW, given the same uncompressed master, H.264 and VC-1 should almost always outperform MPEG-2. Which of H.264 and VC-1 would give betters results may well depend on the encoder implementation, IMO.

Post Reply