John Carter BD forced subs?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jedimuppet

John Carter BD forced subs?

Post by jedimuppet »

Has anyone figured out how to get "forced only" subs to stick in John Carter?
I click on forced subs - extract using MKVToolnix - but even BDsup2sup doesn't recognize that any are forced.
When I actually watch the Blu-Ray however, forced subs do come up. Stumped by this one.
kfreeb

Re: John Carter BD forced subs?

Post by kfreeb »

The reason that no one is finding any forced subtitles is that there aren't any. I extracted all three subtitle tracks that were available and found that only one of them contained the alien language in english. The correct one will have 61 subtitles.

It would appear that when this disk was authored, they chose to separate out the alien language into its own subtitle track, and leave it as non forced subtitles.

What I did was just extract this track and then muxed it back together with the MKV movie file as a vob sub track, (using MKV Toolnix.) I then encoded it in handbreak, (unchecked the force box) and voila, subs where the aliens are speaking are now present.
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (mid 2012)
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
bw001

Post by bw001 »

There are 2 English subtitle tracks and the subtitles in neither one are forced. However, the second English subtitle track contains 61 subtitles that are the alien language and other info that should be forced.

Just rip the disc with both English subtitle tracks and then set the second one to be forced using mkvmerge GUI Header Editor.
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

The reason I did the way I did, (not using mkvmerge GUI Header Editor) is that the Mac version of MKVToolnix v5.7.0, doesn't support the GUI Header Editor, at least as far as I can see?
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

kfreeb wrote:The reason I did the way I did, (not using mkvmerge GUI Header Editor) is that the Mac version of MKVToolnix v5.7.0, doesn't support the GUI Header Editor, at least as far as I can see?
File > Header Editor (Command E).
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

File > Header Editor (Command E).
Thanks Romansh, didn't see that there, (forest for the trees kinda thing.)

You just simplified my life, thanks again!

So, could you please tell me what to check & uncheck in the Header Editor. I noticed that when I set the forced to "Yes" in one one track, it sets all subs to yes, even though they were set to no originally. Not sure what I'm doing in there.
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6