Cowboys and Aliens

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
saurbaum

Cowboys and Aliens

Post by saurbaum »

I've tried a couple of times to make an mkv from this BluRay and it always fails before the end.

Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Videos/MKV dump/Cowboys_and_Aliens
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:READ RETRIES EXHAUSTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '22434938880'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:READ RETRIES EXHAUSTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '22434938880'

Test dump generating now.

*** Edit ***

The test dump has been running for an hour and the time remaining is going up. Looks like it's stuck. Anything else I can provide to help?
crowfax

Re: Cowboys and Aliens

Post by crowfax »

Your disc is damaged/dirty.

Swap it for a new one.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
kfreeb

Post by kfreeb »

I just re-ripped this very title, (no problems encountered) crowfax is right, your disk is flawed/damaged or dirty.
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (mid 2012)
64GB Memory
Mac OS X 10.14.6
captain

Post by captain »

I had to powercycle and start/kill/start MakeMKV, but eventually hit upon the correct state and got a good rip.
austin43085

Post by austin43085 »

Bumping a SERIOUSLY dead thread, probably frowned upon. I've got two .mpls files and I am unsure. Based upon runtime 00801.mpls looks correct, based on number of audio/subtitle track 00800.mpls looks more supported and by my deduction correct.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What language do you want it in?

00800 uses English for the title and end credits, 00801 is usually French. Audio tracks should be identical, it's just which language is used in the title/credits.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BluManGroup

Post by BluManGroup »

You guys are wrong. I've had the same problem trying to rip this disc despite several tries.

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50356.m2ts' at offset '1846996992'
It's not dirty. It's pristine. I also borrowed the same Extended Edition from the library and it runs into the same track following error. Are you going to tell me that's damaged or dirty, too? There are different editions and you guys saying yours ripped fine may not have the same one.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hardware tracking errors are at the drive level. It's trying to follow where the disk tells it to go and it can't get there.

If it happens at the exact same point in multiple disks, I'd suspect the drive is having issues seeking, or possibly switching layers (focus issue).
BluManGroup

Post by BluManGroup »

It happened only on this title, no others in my collection. As for ripping it, I just downloaded and tried MovieRescuer. That ripped this disc without any error, although I have yet to watch the movie all the way through to make sure there's no glitch. The file size seems right.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Are you doing a Backup or Open/Save as MKV?

Sometimes Backup works when Open doesn't, and vice-versa. With a backup, you can open it later with MakeMKV and save as MKV files, assuming the backup completes. I have had a few disks that have navigation anomalies that required tweaks of the program by Mike to fix, but I haven't seen hardware tracking errors on those.