The Pacific - Missing Sound

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RobertPGH1981

The Pacific - Missing Sound

Post by RobertPGH1981 »

Hello Everybody,

I am in the process of making digital copies of my movie collection. I haven't had many problems outside of disc issues up until trying to copy The Pacific. The Pacific copies to my computer but the problem is that the movie does not have sound. I have copied this twice to my hard drive as MKV files and all the files still do not have sound. None of the files copied have sound and I have copied all the titles to my hard drive. Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Thanks for you help! I am new at this...

Rob
setarip_old

Re: The Pacific - Missing Sound

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

1) Which of the episodes exhibits this behavior?

2) What is the indicated audio format per MakeMKV?

3) What player are you using for playback?

4) Are you saying the ripped episodes do not have any auiostreams/tracks or that they DO contain audio but your player (hardware or software) just doesn't playback the audio?
RobertPGH1981

Post by RobertPGH1981 »

Thank you for the reply.

1) Which of the episodes exhibits this behavior?
All of them.

2) What is the indicated audio format per MakeMKV?
see attached screenshot

3) What player are you using for playback?
I create an MKV file then convert to Mp4 using handbrake. I try watching the movie using Media Player. If I play the MKV using media player the sound is missing as well.

4) Are you saying the ripped episodes do not have any auiostreams/tracks or that they DO contain audio but your player (hardware or software) just doesn't playback the audio?
When I try ripping the Blue ray it looks like it has audio. I noticed that the HD audio does not auto-select so on my first run I didn't select it and noticed it didn't have sound. I then selected the HD Audio and still I do not have sound. One thing to note is that I have both the 14.0GB section & the 13.4GB section ripped without audio.
Attachments
Screenshot of Disc 1 Audio
Screenshot of Disc 1 Audio
ScreenshotOfDisc1RIP.jpg (182.05 KiB) Viewed 15950 times
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

One thing to note is that I have both the 14.0GB section & the 13.4GB section ripped without audio.
Actually, your screengrab indicates that you have't selected the 14.0GB version...

RobertPGH1981

Post by RobertPGH1981 »

When I try ripping the Blue ray it looks like it has audio. I noticed that the HD audio does not auto-select so on my first run I didn't select it and noticed it didn't have sound. I then selected the HD Audio and still I do not have sound. One thing to note is that I have both the 14.0GB section & the 13.4GB section ripped without audio.

So I ripped both sections without audio. Is there something special I need to do to merge the two sections together? I believe they're separate parts of the series, but I have both without audio on my Hard drive.
RobertPGH1981

Post by RobertPGH1981 »

I am attaching what the whole disk looks like. I only extracted the 14GB and 13.4GB files since I believe the others are bonus materials. Is there any way to tell otherwise? Also, I already looked at downloading Codecs (K-Lite) in an attempt to play AC3 sound. Still to no avail.
Attachments
WholeDisk.jpg
WholeDisk.jpg (301.93 KiB) Viewed 15933 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your playback software probably does not support DTS Lossless audio. If you're having MakeMKV rip both the lossless and the DTS 3/2+1, try asking your playback software to select a different audio track.

Most players I've tried default to the FIRST of everything - first video track, first audio track, first subtitle track. Which means I sometimes get the "wrong" things when I play the MKV file generated from the DVD or BD. In the case of VLC, I can change each of those defaults through the menu, which lets me know what settings I will need to use in Handbrake when I process the file there.

If the lossless track is the first audio track, and your player can't decode lossless, you have no audio... Until you select track 2.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You can also use MediaInfo to see what is included in the file that you ripped.

If it says the audio streams are there, then there is an issue with your playback system.

SC
RobertPGH1981

Post by RobertPGH1981 »

Thank you, Everyone!

I removed all of the subtitles and selected only one audio track. I can now hear the sound to The Pacific! Thank you all for your responses. Hope everybody had a great Christmas.

Rob
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Glad to hear that you've resolved your dilemma ;>}
carlmkv61

Post by carlmkv61 »

I am also experiencing this problem. Installed dll in windows and makemkv, enabled the advaced option and tried to select the dll. It seems like I am missing steps to properly set this up.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log_1.txt
The Pacific
(12.82 KiB) Downloaded 334 times