skipping/jumping chapters. please help

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
liamgunslinger

skipping/jumping chapters. please help

Post by liamgunslinger »

I am in process of converting all films on my dads htpc to mkv.

I am getting few possibly alot of films that when watching a couple of min to test, seem ok (no stutters and sound is fine) But when watching the film start to finish, seems to jump all over the show. As in playing fine for few chapters then half way through jumping back to something iv already seen then back again. And also looping a couple of times?

Little bit worried as to be honest iv been watching few min of most to 'test' and then deleting the bd-iso. Don't really want the hassle of ripping the films again.

i have found this happens when using my server to convert and using htpc.

server:
windows home server 2011
using dune 301 and B1 to play the MKV

HTPC:
win7
using tmt5 to play and have used both dunes aswell

Would appreciate a bit of help

Liam
ToxicDreamz

Re: skipping/jumping chapters. please help

Post by ToxicDreamz »

Have you tried testing the rips in other media players?
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

ToxicDreamz wrote:Have you tried testing the rips in other media players?
no. I have tested on two different dunes and the htpc all with the same jumping
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

It may help if you could list the specific films this is happening on. There are a few movies, mostly big blockbuster types, that employ an annoying kind of copy-deterrent structure. What they do is create several (could be dozens) of different titles using seamless branching. Only one of the titles (usually NOT the longest one) has the scenes complete and in order. Most of the titles are approximately the correct run time, but leave out some scenes and double or triple-up on other scenes.

When picking a title to convert to MKV, you have to be careful to pick the CORRECT title from among the several choices. Pick the wrong one, and you end up with something similar to what you're describing.

The good news is that this is not terribly common -- it only began a couple of years ago, and typically only on big blockbuster type blu-rays. Most blu-rays do not employ this copy deterrent method.

The BAD news is that if this is what happened to you, and you've already deleted the full-disc backups, the only way to fix the faulty titles is to rip them again. Note that when using MakeMKV, you do not have to rip the entire disc. You can choose which title you want to convert.

If I recall correctly, The Hunger Games and Source Code are two titles which do this. There are several others as well.

Dave
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

hunger games and the expendables 2 so far. so seems i have chosen wrong part to rip using mkv.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I believe Disney also does this, or something similar.

Fortunately, there is the AVS BDInfo database where you can look up blurays and hopefully see what title to rip.

SC
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Smithcraft wrote:I believe Disney also does this, or something similar.
When Disney and Pixar do this, I don't think it's meant as a copy deterrent. It's usually only two or three titles, and each title is the complete movie, with all scenes in the correct order. The reason for multiple titles is usually that they have signage within scenes in different languages (English, Spanish, French for example). I remember they did this with Tangled, for the scenes showing the wanted poster. The words on the poster varied based on the language chosen by the viewer while watching the blu-ray.

Dave
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

Fortunately, there is the AVS BDInfo database where you can look up blurays and hopefully see what title to rip.

SC

just been on the avs database and tbh is has completely confused me. how do you use it to help you choose the correct title?
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Not sure if there's a different method, but here's one way to get the info you need.

Go to the AVS forum and find the Unofficial Blu-ray Audio and Video Specifications Thread. Once you've found it, bookmark it. The AVS forum allows you to do a search within a thread, so once there, do a search for the title of the movie in question. I just went there and did a search for "Hunger Games." This will turn up a list of posts from that thread that meet the search criteria. Next you have to sift through the search results to find YOUR PARTICULAR edition of the movie. For example, there are releases in different regions. One of the search results is for the Australian release. Another is the U.K. release. The one I would be interested is the U.S. retail release. I found that here:

[US] The Hunger Games (Retail)

Once you have the correct release, you can use the information in that post to help you select the correct title. This one is easy, as it names the correct title number and lists the running time. You would then use that information to select the same title number in MakeMKV and confirm the running time matches.

HTH,
Dave
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

well i have been doing bit of searching on here and found a post saying 00017.mpls was the correct part to rip on hunger games so i re ripped and watched and i still have the skipping chapters at the same point.

liam
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

DaveQ wrote:
When Disney and Pixar do this, I don't think it's meant as a copy deterrent. It's usually only two or three titles, and each title is the complete movie, with all scenes in the correct order. The reason for multiple titles is usually that they have signage within scenes in different languages (English, Spanish, French for example). I remember they did this with Tangled, for the scenes showing the wanted poster. The words on the poster varied based on the language chosen by the viewer while watching the blu-ray.

Dave
I know why they do it, but you still have to try and figure out which one is the one you want. Sometimes the differences are few and far between.

SC
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

liamgunslinger wrote:

SC

just been on the avs database and tbh is has completely confused me. how do you use it to help you choose the correct title?
Find the movie and look for the title (wxyz.mpls) number. It will be in the first code block. Also, instead of using the index of titles, you can click on the 'Search This Thread' link, just under the thread title.

The thread here about Hunger Games.

SC
Dilligaf

Post by Dilligaf »

i have same problem i did full back up of Breaking Dawn part 2 Decrypt that i bought then used BD_Rebuilder to shrink to a 25g
Bd full movie with all menus the movie starts first chapter the jumps to the end and all mix up with same chapter never had this problem be for oh and when trying to play it on my PC or blu-ray player it tells me its a copy and cant not be played but does if fast forward then plays but all mix up
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Liam,

Don't know if you noticed, but my post with guidance on doing this and a link to the AVS forum has shown up finally. (Scroll up to find it.) Also, it looks like Smithcraft had a post show up as well covering the same topic.

Good luck,
Dave
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

DaveQ wrote:Not sure if there's a different method, but here's one way to get the info you need.

Go to the AVS forum and find the Unofficial Blu-ray Audio and Video Specifications Thread. Once you've found it, bookmark it. The AVS forum allows you to do a search within a thread, so once there, do a search for the title of the movie in question. I just went there and did a search for "Hunger Games." This will turn up a list of posts from that thread that meet the search criteria. Next you have to sift through the search results to find YOUR PARTICULAR edition of the movie. For example, there are releases in different regions. One of the search results is for the Australian release. Another is the U.K. release. The one I would be interested is the U.S. retail release. I found that here:

[US] The Hunger Games (Retail)

Once you have the correct release, you can use the information in that post to help you select the correct title. This one is easy, as it names the correct title number and lists the running time. You would then use that information to select the same title number in MakeMKV and confirm the running time matches.

HTH,
Dave
brilliant thanks for this, just what iv been looking for, so basically find the title with the right running time and that's it?