Unable to see forced English subtitles - Argo

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Dingo69

Unable to see forced English subtitles - Argo

Post by Dingo69 »

Checked all the "forced subtitles' for English - didnt see the subtitles watching the movie.

1hr 13min ... man/woman conversation shows on the BD, but not when MKV downloaded.

Any fix for this?

Thanks!
Chetwood

Re: Unable to see forced English subtitles - Argo

Post by Chetwood »

Use MKVToolnix's header editor to set both default and forced flag to yes.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Dingo69

Post by Dingo69 »

Chetwood wrote:Use MKVToolnix's header editor to set both default and forced flag to yes.
I created a new MKV file using MakeMKV, selecting all english subtitles and forced english subtitles - Argo_t03.mkv (shown below). Is that correct?

How do I know which subtitles file to use in MKVMerge? ID2 or 3 or 4?

I did notice that ID2 has a 'default track flag' of yes and a "forced track flag" of no. Do I use this and just change the 'force track flag' to yes? (under general track options)
ID 3 has a 'default track flag' of no and a "forced track flag" of no.
ID 4 has a 'default track flag' of no and a "forced track flag" of no.

Thanks for your assistance.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Dingo69 wrote:How do I know which subtitles file to use in MKVMerge? ID2 or 3 or 4?
Since automatic detection of forced subs isn't foolproof you need to check them manually. Either by fast-forwarding through the movie with a stream on or by extracting the streams and checking them with BDSUP2SUB (although filesize of the extracted subs usually is a pretty good indicator).

Also instead of remuxing the mkv, use MKVToolnix > File > Header editor to set/add the flags.
liamgunslinger

Post by liamgunslinger »

had the same problem, what did you do in the end? did you get it working?
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

I'm pretty sure "Argo" is a lot like "The Avengers" in that the subtitile track necessary for the non-english parts is actually a separate "non-forced" track.

When making the mkv, select all of the english subtitles and then navigate through them to determine which one is correct. The first spoken subtitle happens around 9:30 in the Iranian embassy, but there are also some informational subtitles that happen earlier, around 2:30, giving location and date information.

Hope that helps.
Dingo69

Post by Dingo69 »

liamgunslinger wrote:had the same problem, what did you do in the end? did you get it working?
I downloaded all video, audio, and English subtitles files, then ...

"You'll need to extract the subtitles from the MKV file using something like MKVcleaver (download link). You'll also need MKVToolnix (download link) for MKVcleaver to work. Once the subtitles are extracted, open them with BDSup2Sub (download link) and then save them as IDX subtitles (the same format used on DVD).Then open MKVmergeGUI, part of the MKVToolnix package (download link) and merge the MKV file with the IDX file created by BDSup2Sub."

Above from member 'crowfax'.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Which is pointless in your case. Why would you want to convert to idx/sub when all you need to do is to identify the forced track and enable it in the mkv?
Dingo69

Post by Dingo69 »

Chetwood wrote:Which is pointless in your case. Why would you want to convert to idx/sub when all you need to do is to identify the forced track and enable it in the mkv?
Your right ... my bad - this is the technique I used for Avatar.

This called for using the header editor only.