"Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR" for Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
AllesMeins

"Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR" for Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Post by AllesMeins »

I get the following error, when trying to copy "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" after aboput 20 minutes

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2994632704'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2994958336'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2994958336'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2995290112'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2995290112'
(I tried it several times, the offsets are changing)

The discs looks fine (no scratches or dust) and plays fine as well. And copying other discs with the same drives works fine too...
Any idea what might be wrong?
DaveQ

Re: "Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR" for Pirates of the Caribbean

Post by DaveQ »

[Answer copied/pasted from another recent thread.]

These are all possible explanations:
1. Dirty disc. Clean carefully and try again.
2. Scratched/damaged/defective disc. Exchange for a new disc.
3. Dirty, damaged or misaligned blu-ray drive. Try a different drive.

NOTE: Due to the index of refraction, reflectivity and other characteristics of the hard coating on a blu-ray disc, one which looks (by casual inspection) to be clean and scratch-free may be neither of those things. Examine very closely, focusing your eyes on the surface of the clear coating rather than the reflective layer beneath it. (It is MUCH easier to see scratches/scrapes on DVDs and CDs than it is on Blu-ray discs.)

Also, scratches and scrapes are not the only kinds of flaws that can occur. There is a manufacturing defect I have seen on some discs which causes the surface of the clear coating to be slightly rippled in a few spots rather than flat.

Good luck,
Dave
AllesMeins

Post by AllesMeins »

Thanks for your answer. As i said above: The discs looks fine and plays perfectly as well... Only makeMKV has problems with it
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

AllesMeins wrote:Thanks for your answer. As i said above: The discs looks fine and plays perfectly as well... Only makeMKV has problems with it
Playing well in a regular blu-ray player does not mean the disc isn't dirty, scratched or defective. A regular blu-ray player can 'ignore' minor defects in the disc and continue playing without noticeable flaws, as long as those defects don't affect more than a couple frames at a time or are in a part of the file that isn't being played (such as an alternate soundtrack, or subtitles that aren't being displayed, etc.)

MakeMKV is not attempting to do the same thing. It is designed to make a bit-for-bit accurate copy of the movie sans encryption. If any single sector in the file cannot be read -- due to a hairline scratch, dirt, or a slight manufacturing defect -- then it will fail with a media error. Even if the sector in question is not part of the file that you're interested in, such as a foreign subtitle track or alternate soundtrack.

Repeat: it is easy to miss hairline scratches or some of the more common defects when you look at the disc. And even if there is no obvious problem when you examine it closely, there are some kinds of defects that can't be seen. You can try the suggestions I made in my previous post, or you can ignore them. But it's almost certain that you have either a failing drive or a dirty/damaged/flawed disc.

Dave
computerhac

Post by computerhac »

I have been having the same problem with my Avatar Blu Ray.

First time through I only had the video and lossless dts selected and i would get

"Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading"

When I selected the video and the regular dts I get

"Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'"

I keep all of my disks in tip top shape and it shows no sign of even a small scratch. I have backed up 9 blu rays before this and never had an error. Does this mean in order to get a copy of my avatar blu ray i need to buy a new one, or is there a way to skip the bad part?
qck123

Post by qck123 »

I just about finished ripping Crazy Beautiful and got the following

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:NO SEEK COMPLETE' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '3335651328'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '3335651328'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '3335651328'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:NO SEEK COMPLETE' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '3335651328'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '3335651328'
Failed to save title 0 to file G:/Video/CRAZY_BEAUTIFUL/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Saving 1 titles into directory G:/Video/CRAZY_BEAUTIFUL
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (112)' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '141557760'
Failed to save title 0 to file G:/Video/CRAZY_BEAUTIFUL/title00.mkv

Seems to me that should have been able to save what had been ripped, since it was almost the whole movie.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

But saving incomplete/damaged files is not what MakeMKV was designed to do...

Did you try cleaning the disk?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging