Star Trek: TV episodes and first 6 movies

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
atc98092

Star Trek: TV episodes and first 6 movies

Post by atc98092 »

I have the Blu-Ray sets of Star Trek TOS season one, and the set of the first 6 movies (same cast as the original series). They rip just fine, but when I browse to the save folder (Windows 7) Windows Explorer crashes and restarts. If I use the command line to move the file to my Serviio server (Windows Server 2003) Windows Explorer is again fine. However, the movies will not play using Serviio as the streamer. They will play using Plex and a Roku 2 XS, but I have other issues with Plex and would prefer sticking with Serviio.

I am using the default profile, but I also tried using the WDTV profile with no change. I am streaming to a Panasonic ST30 Plasma and the Sony SNP-N200 media player. Using Plex, they will play through a Roku 2 XS but not the Sony or Panasonic.

I've had a couple of other titles do the same thing, but can't recall titles at this time. I have no other issues ripping and playing other movies.

I've tried several commercial ripper products and they also fail. There must be some really sticky security on these discs. They do play in a normal BD player (computer or standalone) with no issues.
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
Smithcraft

Re: Star Trek: TV episodes and first 6 movies

Post by Smithcraft »

I can't see anything about the ST discs that might be specific and cause issues, but I've only ripped TWoK and I'm just using Plex. Maybe there is a codec compatibility issue.

Looking at the TOS discs, I see they are DTS-HD, and TWoK is TrueHD. Is HD audio supported by the devices? Or maybe there is an issue with HD audio and Serviio? That's all I can think of.

SC
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

Smithcraft wrote:I can't see anything about the ST discs that might be specific and cause issues, but I've only ripped TWoK and I'm just using Plex. Maybe there is a codec compatibility issue.

Looking at the TOS discs, I see they are DTS-HD, and TWoK is TrueHD. Is HD audio supported by the devices? Or maybe there is an issue with HD audio and Serviio? That's all I can think of.

SC
The Sony SNP-N200 box will bitstream Dolby TrueHD, but DTS Master Audio gets dropped to the lossy DTS core. My Yamaha receiver will display the audio stream playing, so that's how I know HD audio works. Since the Panasonic TV only has optical audio out, all it can send to the AV receiver is standard DD or DTS lossy audio.

Another strange thing (I've reported on the Serviio board) is that I have another BD Rip (Disney's Beauty and the Beast) that will stream from a Windows 7 PC with HD audio, but the same file on my Serviio box only sees the DD core track. And as I've said, I have other BD rips that play HD audio just fine, all ripped with MakeMKV.

Weird...
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

As an FYI: I replaced my LiteOn BD player on my computer today with a LG multi-burner. I've tested it with a DVD that was giving me trouble, and it worked perfectly. Perhaps this was the problem all along. I'll try another BD rip tonight and see if there's still a problem.
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

New BD drive made no difference. The MakeMKV errors that were occurring have vanished, and ripping speed is far superior to the LiteOn drive, but I still have a probem actually playing back Blu-ray rips. Most recent attempt was The Wizard of Oz. Ripped in a matter of minutes, plays fine on the Windows 7 computer that ripped it, plays fine through Plex via a Roku 2 XS, but from Serviio none of my DLNA streaming players will play. I was using the generic (default) profile. Any chance the FLAC or WDTV profile will provide different results?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Off hand, I doubt it will make a difference, but you could always try with a short feature. The FLAC profile converts the audio streams, and the WDTV profile compresses the headers and stuff. I'm leaning towards this being a Serviio issue.

SC
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

Smithcraft wrote:Off hand, I doubt it will make a difference, but you could always try with a short feature. The FLAC profile converts the audio streams, and the WDTV profile compresses the headers and stuff. I'm leaning towards this being a Serviio issue.

SC
If I convert the MKV file to something else (MP4 for example) the video plays fine. As an FYI, I also run Plex on the same server, and while it will play these files through a Roku, it usually stutters, as if it can't handle the frame rate. Trying to play from Plex over DLNA has the same issues as Serviio.

Server is a quad core AMD with 8 gig of ram, Windows Server 2003 R2 x64. Perhaps I'll try the WDTV profile.